Recent content by garbz

1. G

A DC Blocker to help stop transformer HUM

Almost certainly not. A DC blocker helps with DC, and DC doesn't magically appear or disappear when playing music or after having your system on for a certain amount of time. It may come and go on the line but would do so independently of what you do with your music (do you play with crappy...
  2. G

Orei HDA-939 HDMI Audio Extractor Review

This is probably the one product where it's absolutely not an issue. People using this won't be playing low dynamic range poorly mastered CD content. I'd be rather surprised if the DAC ever sees a 0dbFS signal other than an explosion or gunshot in an action film, or an obnoxious advert. ;)
  3. G

Dutch & Dutch 8C - Firmware V2.2 (Spotify Connect)

Yeah I did recall the Stereophile review. I often hold it up as an example of the poor journalistic integrity of Stereophile (they published a known faulty graph on page 2 of the review which is just poor form especially considering they mentioned they found the issue and re-measured in the same...
  4. G

Correct there is no way to bypass their analoge to digital conversion, but this is not restrictive. I'd argue this is the future of audio. In the digital domain you can do all sorts of amazing filtering both to suit speaker design (perfect digital crossovers, perfect time alignment, tweak driver...
  5. G

I think you'll find upstream chains vary greatly with what people listen to. Personally I use them with my own home made DAC/Pre, but that's only because I also use a turntable sometimes. If I were just listening to streaming / TV I'd probably aim for something all digital. Currently the biggest...
  6. G

A misunderstanding on my part. I was told at some point that Roon ready devices act as a Spotify endpoint, but a quick google shows it's only Tidal and Qobuz.
  7. G

What's the speaker of your dreams?

I think I can dream about many things that exist but I can't have.
  8. G

This was an incredible Christmas present. Some bugs in the new app, but otherwise it's great to be able to stream Spotify directly without having to pay for Roon. EDIT: No bugs in the app, design choices that were slightly unexpected but I've heard will be tweaked in future releases.
  9. G

Dutch & Dutch office & factory tour and listening session (with many pics)

No. Not only is it unconscionable to do that these days but these speakers don't really have a standby either, at best a wake on lan function, and would consume more power than leading all the lights on my house on. I have a remote controlled power board. Speakers take about 35 seconds to boot...
  10. G

Audioquest GO-4 Speaker Cable Review

Of course we have, but then some cable company will come out and tout how much better their cable is than all the others due to the development of a proprietary graphene lattice confabulator which reorients the wavephase to further reduce audio distortion and elevate the listening experience...
  11. G

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Review

Well shit I'll eat some humble pie then. I'm at a loss though. I already had the lowest opinion of PS Audio... now what do I do? Rescale expectations of everything else in my life just so I can put them lower. :eek::eek::eek:
  12. G

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-ps-audio-s300-pwr-amp.9302/ He even recommended it. But let's consider that one an outlier in a long list of overpriced crap products.
  13. G

Can you post a picture of the inside of the unit? I'm willing to bet you wouldn't have gotten an electric shock. You're almost certainly measuring leakage which is present on many devices, especially those with SMPSes. E.g. My Surface Laptop measures mains voltage directly on the outside of the...
  14. G

CHORD Hugo TT2 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

I'd appreciate it more if they knew the difference between 50ohm and 75ohm BNC connectors and would ship the correct ones on a product of that price. Does it make a performance difference? No. Does it smell of overly expensive incompetence? Absolutely.
  15. G

Is Digital Audio Transmission Analog? [video]

USB works more like balanced audio. At those speeds you need differential signalling to make any kind of sense of the signal arriving at the other end or it looks like noisy garbage. But it does. Voltage swing that drives a little LED which swings in brightness read by a light dependent...
Top Bottom