Recent content by gags

1. G

Shogun

Today I learned about anamorphic lenses. I noticed the strange look of some of the scenes and to me it looked like they had corrected lens barrel leaving a kind of ghost of a circular feel to the bokeh. Whenever I’d pause to take a closer look, it wasn’t there.
  2. G

Turn a Mac Mini into a audio and video High Res "Apple TV"

Another Mac Mini user here. Currently USB out to a Topping D10 for audio for my main system and line out to some powered Bose desktops on the fire place mantle piece for “it must just work” family acceptance factor. These can be switched in the OS easily enough. HDMI out to a monitor for...
  3. G

Zen and the art of listening!

3 Is in a row .. what a bore!
  4. G

I have also benefitted greatly from meditation. What a wonderful journey. I experience tinnitus so if I really focus on music my tinnitus becomes more pronounced so this game I play is to pretend to not pay attention and just enjoy very attentively! I only have an entry level “good” system in...
  5. G

Congrats. It’s easy with the first one until school. It doesn’t really matter for a while, then you can, then you can’t. My 5 year old is broaching the subject! Second one is harder.
  6. G

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

Forgive me if this has been said already but there is a high res version of Stormy Weather by Etta James which is the best recording I own : I don’t even mind the blowy p in pray that’s revealed. Makes the hairs on my arms stand up and tears well in my eyes every time.
  7. G

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

Thank you for your reply. I think I’m after something a little different. Hopefully I can plug various HDMI sources into something like this and use the remote to select which HDMI source ends up on the tv...
  8. G

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

Thanks to Amir for all the info and everyone for the commentary. I am specifically interested in this : as I may buy one of these (or similar) as I improve my home entertainment system and the USB only input on my Topping D10, while sounding perfectly fine to my naive but happy ears, doesn’t...
  9. G

A Real Cure for Tinnitus

I came across the idea that it’s akin to how we respond to pain. We are able to cope with pain better with different mindsets when compared to others and it is suggested that our experience to T is the same. Stress, for some, lowers the resilience but we experience it the opposite way. The...
  10. G

A Real Cure for Tinnitus

I’ve got the iPhone version of that app. Not quite used it in the same way but for T relief most of the time none the less. The quality of the sounds is really excellent.
  11. G

A Real Cure for Tinnitus

Also. I suspect so many musicians and audio people have it is not primarily due to hearing damage but because we trained our ears / mind to notice audio detail and have thrown ourselves under the bus. (Edited because I am on the wine)
  12. G

A Real Cure for Tinnitus

I’ve tried so many things. One of the most effective things I’ve found, quite recently, is box breathing. https://www.oxygenmag.com/mental-health/what-is-box-breathing-and-what-are-its-benefits/ T is so weird and being subjected to it makes it impossible to separate out coincidence or placebo...
  13. G

Apple HomePod (2nd Gen) (2023)

Simply a technical point from me here, as the good people of this site are fond of this sort of thing. Audio from apps that register the audio session with the OS can be shared via AirPlay. Not all do. You can’t Airplay audio from MS Teams, for instance.
  14. G

Portable Bluetooth speaker?

Spent another Sunday playing tunes in a market with 12 of these and a sub woofer. They are BT but we wire them. Flexible and neutral to crisp, they’re worth a listen. I think they’re helped by the sub but as it’s a separate bit of kit you can opt out. https://minirigs.co.uk/
Top Bottom