Recent content by FriendlyFire

1. F

3.0 or 3.1 system in Canada for <3k?

Alright, I think I'll stay on the lookout for a sale on the X3700H or NR7100 then! For center channel, I'm most likely going to give the UC52 a shot since Crutchfield.ca carries it. I know I could try a KEF Q series, but I don't feel comfortable being unable to audition it properly... If I can...
  2. F

The EFL SVS policy only covers exchanges and upgrades, not straight up returns (unlike the direct from SVS policy). My understanding is that SVS is great for subs, but I haven't seen them recommended a lot for other speakers (and their styling feels very home theater as opposed to living room...)?
  3. F

Oh I'm well aware that skipping the sub is suboptimal (pun not intended), but I can't in good conscience get one in an apartment complex. If once everything is setup and I've used it for a while, I see that soundproofing is really A+ (the condo isn't finished yet), then I might give it a go, but...
  4. F

Incremental upgrades. I want to have a competent 3.0 setup to begin with, make sure I actually use it as I expect to, and then I can add surrounds and eventually up-firing. It gets me better value than trying to fit a full 5 speakers on the same budget :)
  5. F

That's the thing: outside of Amazon, Best Buy and Crutchfield, there is no retailer with a usable return policy around here, and unfortunately that's pretty slim pickings. A few will offer store credit that I'd have nothing to use on, and most will outright refuse returns. Looking specifically...
  6. F

The LS50 Meta had zero bass, which is why I figured it was probably an equipment issue. The room also sucked, but I don't think that was the main reason. The KEF R3 sounded much better, but also stretched the budget a lot more. Unfortunately, I have no idea where you guys are shopping, but...
  7. F

I went out and got an audition of a few speakers in some local shops, not sure they were very representative unfortunately. The KEF LS50 Meta sounded really off, but I think that was down to the system (they had the KEF KC62 sub and turned it off for the demo, not sure how the crossover was...
  8. F

Hi everyone, I've been lurking this place for a little bit and greatly appreciate the amount of effort and the quality of measurements and discussion I've seen. I hope to pick your collective brains a little as I try to untangle the mess of choices I've thrown myself into. I will be moving to...
Top Bottom