Recent content by Fred H

1. F

So called engine fuel additives - are all snake oil (or not)?

Lots of threads on this in BobIsTheOilGuy.com. Mostly anecdotal, but it will broaden your sample of opinion.
  2. F

No sound from amplifier (Cambridge AXR-100)

The "factory reset" mentioned in this thread might help; the thread suggests several other possible fixes - and some failures.
  3. F

Guidance for a non-audiophile's first (desktop) sound system

Here's a link to a picture of the back: https://www.springair.de/media/image/5a/cb/26/76218c.jpg The CD input is next to the Phone input.
  4. F

The moving microphone method (MMM) for Dummies using REW

I saved my test output to files (48kHz, 440 repetitions, 32-bit Float => 600.747 seconds) for mono, left-only, and right-only. This avoids attaching my laptop to my Flex to take a reading.
  5. F

Benchmark AHB2 mono-blocks > Sell one and buy Bicycle?

Most rowing machines have accurate measurements of what you are doing. The most common one (Concept II) even has national and international competitions. These might push your perfection button, even if you just compete with your previous performances -- as I do. It's the first thing I've found...
  6. F

Sold: JDS Labs Atom+ DAC $80

I'm sorry, but it's sold.
  7. F

My hifi journey + what would you do?

Chuckles and sympathy. I read here (and believe) that electronics are largely a "solved" problem -- particularly with the reviews here. So I'd probably try some other speakers. When/If you find some speakers you love, then change the electronics as necessary.
  8. F

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

SVS Outlet Store Cyber Monday sale: https://www.svsound.com/collections/outlet-specials. It includes a few non-blemished units and includes their guarantee and 45-day return.
  9. F

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Not my experience; 6 years daily use of digitally controlled volume without any analog attenuation with no problems. First with a Benchmark DAC3, then a Topping D30 Pro and now with a miniDSP Flex. All have always remembered the last volume setting.
  10. F

Gym Goers

80. Used to run 50 miles a week but knees couldn't take it past 50. Substituted a cross country ski machine plus weights for a couple of decades. Then a reclining bike plus weights for a decade. About a year ago bought a cheap used rowing machine; used it for 6 months and bought a used Concept2...
  11. F

User tracking ad platform now baked into Chrome browser

For a computer security perspective I recommend the "Topics Arrives" (936) episode's discussion on Steve Gibson's Security Now! podcast. I came from this discussion with general acceptance of the change, if not quite liking it.
  12. F

Career advice

My experience is that I did best what I enjoyed most. I once had a student who was majoring in accounting -- and told me that he hated it. I asked "Why do what you hate for the rest of your life?" He replied "I can always get a job." I changed fields several times: systems engineering to...
  13. F

Would a Class A integrated amp put out enough heat to notice in a room?

We have a lizard cage that puts out 250 watts and we don't notice it when we walk by. But for the last couple of months it was putting out 550 watts (lizard was ill), and we noticced it radiating every time we walked by
  14. F

Car Powertrain of the Future - E-Fuels, Fuel cells or Battery based

In my ignorant reading a proton battery seems like a potential breakthrough: https://techxplore.com/news/2023-07-proton-battery-cheap-energy-storage.html.
Top Bottom