Recent content by frangle

1. frangle

The bottom octave

I would guess that it is probably Kingsway Hall if pre-1984 and you are hearing the infamous Kingsway rumble from the Tube.
  2. frangle

The bottom octave

Low bass needs cone area to move enough air to reach realistic SPLs if that is important to you. For me, it is most noticeable (but still quite subtle) on classical music. It adds a sense of realism it is then difficult to live without.
  3. frangle

Topping DX7 Pro+ Review (DAC & HP Amp)

I listen to mainly classical & jazz, either at 16 bit 44.1kHz or 24 bit 48kHz (both lossless) for anything originating as hi-res. I just bought one of these for headphone use only (HD600). From a subjective sound standpoint, I think you could use all the superlatives that you want. For me the...
  4. frangle

Stereo Imaging off center - could room treatment help?

Blasphemy! Our ears are precision sensors beyond reproach. It has to be the equipment. I spent weeks trying to figure out why my speakers seemed to be unbalanced on some days. Then I figured that it might be the streamed radio station I often listen to, or was it just the show I often...
  5. frangle

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

Also, does it really add much? If there is no load there is no current anyway.
  6. frangle

Dutch & Dutch 8c Review

Yes. I briefly considered the Reference 1 and 3 before choosing 8c. These KEFs are at the high end of the consumer hifi segment with lots of trade-offs around styling and fitting in with larger company product marketing considerations and hype. For those who follow these things, the 8c...
  7. frangle

Inside High-res audio: PCM vs MQA vs CD: 2L Sampler Comparison

So to answer @Hippocamp 's earlier question, it seems that if you have DSD files and you want to save storage space and get rid of undesirable ultrasonic effects on your system without noticeably impacting quality, you could convert to 192kHz 24bit FLAC to eliminate the DSD noise shaping...
  8. frangle

New Home Friendly Speaker Design from Ikea

He missed Step 17c: it’s not a handle, it’s the strap to secure it to the wall and it should be on the back top right. Also the front panel should be the other way up on the back.
  9. frangle

Dutch & Dutch 8c Review

As I think D&D have acknowledged, the control approach has been "minimally viable" to allow them to get a very capable loudspeaker to market. For me the volume is less of an issue than power / standby. Normally volume will be controlled in the source equipment - TV, streamer, etc. This is...
  10. frangle

ASR Open Source Streamer Project

We seem to be drifting from the original idea:
  11. frangle

ASR Open Source Streamer Project

A couple of detailed points: 1. Digital Output keep-alive It seems that quite a few people (including myself) using active speakers with in-built DACs have problems with occasional clicks that happen when the speaker's DAC switches from 0 level to inactive (no stream). It would be great to...
  12. frangle

12v trigger options?

Harmony remote + Wemo smart plugs / 12V walwart would be one way . A DAC with a trigger may be more simple unless the Harmony has other benefits for you.
  13. frangle

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

@jhsg You need to switch to standby using the App (web ui) - the main reason I asked the question about HTTP control above. It means that you need to keep a browser tab readily accessible. Also I find that the discovery is not 100% meaning that often I have to refresh the browser page (even...
  14. frangle

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

Does anyone know if it is possible to do basic control (e.g. on/standby, maybe gain) of the 8c via HTTP commands for interfacing with an automation system? If so, are there some details available somewhere? Thanks
  15. frangle

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs

Why a splitter? AES daisy-chains through the speakers.
Top Bottom