Recent content by Florin Andrei

1. Florin Andrei

Anyone knows the frequency response of the Stax L300 Limited edition?

@AlexHempel The oratory1990 preset for the L300LTD works pretty well: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets Plot twist: I actually like the original FR of the L300LTD, so I usually only apply the low-shelf bass boost (along with the blu-tac mod). It kind of varies...
  2. Florin Andrei

Missing Fundamental

It doesn't matter. If you can't see the fundamental in the spectrogram, then it was not actually recorded. You may hear artifacts, beats, etc, and you may end up convincing yourself you "hear" it - but the source of truth, ultimately, is the spectral analysis. If the measurement says it does not...
  3. Florin Andrei

Simple app to visualize the spectrum of a whole song - or many songs in batch mode - from start to end in one image. Bonus: remember "Why So Serious?"

Yeah, not me. For some reason, it did not occur to me to hook up the line output from my PC to the line input on my homebrew amp. Necropolis has a peak just above 30 Hz, should have been doable on my old speaker boxes. Anyway, glad I could hear it now, brought back some memories, thanks!
  4. Florin Andrei

Simple app to visualize the spectrum of a whole song - or many songs in batch mode - from start to end in one image. Bonus: remember "Why So Serious?"

Yeah, there's the three bass notes that go high - mid - low, over and over again during the whole song. The low note requires some pretty insane sound levels to hear, because of the equal-loudness contour, which rises a lot at that frequency. What's easily heard is the upper harmonics of that...
  5. Florin Andrei

I've released a new version (0.1.1). It contains a fix for time resolution - very short files (under 1 min) should be somewhat less blurry now; some blurriness will persist, as it's inherent to the windowed Fourier transform. Things will always be somewhat smeared over an interval of about 1...
  6. Florin Andrei

Hah! I knew it! There had to be something similar out there. Obviously Spek has a GUI, while my app doesn't. I don't see batch mode with Spek. Spek displays the spectrum on a linear scale; I've tried to find an option to change that but I failed. This is not optimal; most of the information...
  7. Florin Andrei

OMG, look at that bass! That's, what, 19 Hz or so? And you can see the ascending / descending movements of the fugue. I have the same piece interpreted by Marie-Claire Alain on the main organ at Grote of Jacobijnerkerk in Netherlands, built in the 1700s. This is the spectrogram: I think I'll...
  8. Florin Andrei

https://github.com/FlorinAndrei/soundspec I wrote the app over the week-end, more like a hobby. No fancy GUI, sorry, but I do provide an .exe for non-technical Windows users (Mac version soon, I hope, once I fix the issues with pyinstaller - feel free to send me pull requests if you have a...
  9. Florin Andrei

reviews of the closed-back LCD headphones I could trust?

Just to provide some sort of completion: I was surprised by the Meze 99 Classics. They are quite airy, they have very little of the claustrophobic sound signature of many closed-back headphones (Aeon Flow Closed, I'm looking at you). Bass is a bit too hot, but for non-critical listening (at the...
  10. Florin Andrei

Deep EQ solves the lack of bass with the Lambda. These are my findings:
  11. Florin Andrei

I'm not super familiar with the ADI-2, but perhaps it adjusts gain automatically? Any EQ worth anything should do one of two things: - adjust gain to compensate for overdrive - clearly indicate you're overdriving the digital bus with your filters, and even tell you the amount in dB (this is...
  12. Florin Andrei

There's a tall, broad hill around 1.2 ... 1.3k that gets squished by these presets. If uncorrected, it adds a "1930s telephone line" character to the sound which probably shouldn't be there. OTOH it's responsible for the supernatural vividness of voice reproduction on these phones. I'm still...
  13. Florin Andrei

He was sending me real-time updates via Reddit PMs as he was measuring my cans. I am going to post here a quote from one of his PMs, I think it's okay to do so without asking for permission, it's just lab stuff. --- Right so I just measured it with an EQ to flatten the response below 300 Hz or...
  14. Florin Andrei

This is a major point of disagreement between rtings.com and oratory1990. Per the latter, distortion remains very low even at high levels at low frequencies. He's also mentioned it's hard to get good measurements in this regard, it requires a room that's sealed against external noise (which...
Top Bottom