Recent content by Fledermaus

1. Fledermaus

What are we listening to right now..

Kinda like this guy - just bought a bunch of his records (used!) - as he doesn't sound like anybody else :
  2. Fledermaus

Choice for streaming

I'd recommend : NAS + network-capable DAC (Matrix ones are well-built and measure quite well IIRC) or : NAS + SBC (eg Raspberry pi) running Volumio or whatever dedicated OS/software + USB DAC (eg ADI-2 DAC) Same kind of money, SOTA performance for still half-affordable prices, so no "investment"...
  3. Fledermaus

What are we listening to right now..

Jazz group from Normandy :
  4. Fledermaus

Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC and Streamer Review

Nice to see that all high-endish boutique DACs don't have to perform miserably !
  5. Fledermaus

Solaro QR1 as pre/pro/active filter (was: What pre/pro for audio only ?)

Thanks for the tip ;) Sure, below 300 Hz it's mostly room dependant. Unfortunately, due to spousal acceptance, heavy bass-trapping is not envisioned. Adding a sub or two in order to fill in the 20-40 Hz range might be more of an option, though I'm not sure about mode management nor integration...
  6. Fledermaus

Mini-DSP only at 48 or 96 Khz ?

A Solaro DSP unit (Xilica) with only AES I/O cards might do the job too - to which you might add analog I/O, USB, GPIO cards as needed. The last software version allows it to run 48 or 96 kHz and the FIR filters are 4096 taps max : https://xilica.com/products/qr1/
  7. Fledermaus

It's getting better (left, right, and average, from the listening position) - not so far from decent indeed, except for the asymmetry in the lower range : :
  8. Fledermaus

What is your daily job ? ... any hobbies ?

Dayjob : MD, head of the local hospital's clinical chemistry lab (was too lazy at school to become an audio engineer). Besides hi-fi/audio, which has been my most chronic symptom since my teens, hobbies have included reading, horseriding, bike riding, motorbike riding, photography (no firearms...
  9. Fledermaus

In action : After a first session of EQ/crossover tinkering : So far, so good !
  10. Fledermaus

More wisdom from Paul McGowan

I remember watching a PMcG video where he was talking about his speaker voicing process, and saying that a flat frequency response curve was not his goal, rather some euphonic dip in the mid-highs... So expect what you feel like expecting. as long as it's not neutrality.
  11. Fledermaus

Glad to have a fellow QR1 owner on board ! ;) Your project is way ahead of mine in terms of complexity, I hope it unfolds seamlessly. I already upgraded the mainboard firmware once just after unpacking, in order to have the USB input (a more recent feature as it seems) working, so it looks...
Top Bottom