Recent content by fivepast8

1. fivepast8

Advice wanted: Taking over an HiFi Store

Quick update since the thread was revived: Said Hifi Store is still not sold. Got hired to turn-around another micro-electronics company: so no early retirement ;). ... that is exactly what my ethics would not agree with. .... there at least one member who does this. I would not be...
  2. fivepast8

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

Switzerland, Lake Lucerne, seen from Rigi Mountain
  3. fivepast8

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

Aren't we all, Sir? After being conditioned for decades by Stereophile and Absolute Sound, believing their reviewers that the Bryston SST sounded just that tad bit better than the previous ST and saving up our then meagerly Silicon Valley dollars to upgrade the amp. Inviting your mates over to...
  4. fivepast8

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

Hello Amir, thank you for your wonderful work. I admire your patience and willingness to engage with your audience and to "try" and teach them basics of electro-magnetic system design. Such patience eludes me. Have a wonderful holiday. It's bed time for you, unless you are on vacation...
  5. fivepast8

We can measure everything we hear: Yes! Research at the Bio-Electronics-Lab of ETH Zurich

Well said gents, of course I know that neurons firing is not hearing.... , I was making a tongue in cheek reference to the science deniers and pointing out that if we can measure down to such levels and details, surely we can master 20-20kHz signal processing. For the brain to process hearing...
  6. fivepast8

We can measure everything we hear: Yes! Research at the Bio-Electronics-Lab of ETH Zurich

Hello Fellow ASR Members, I am posting a video lecture by one of my friends (in memorandum of another friend at Georgia Tech who passed away this spring) that showcases the fantastic research happening today. Start at the 30min mark to see the circuitry deployed to measure neuro-stimulation at...
  7. fivepast8

Hearing and hearing aid recommendations

Best of luck in your quest for a suitable device. I was a manufacturer for the PCBs used in most hearing instruments brands, also implantable ones. Hearing is mostly a "brain" activity. If the ears loose their sensitivity, the brain also switches off and looses the ability to process sound...
  8. fivepast8

A Call For Humor!

ISMO: "I didn't know shit"
  9. fivepast8

What are we listening to right now..

Tex Perkin and the Fat Rubber Band.... from Australia, Live in Zurich, Switzerland...
  10. fivepast8

Thank you, same to you. Well, in my analysis, this business will go the way the sale of computers have gone in the last 40 years. Back then needing advice on peripherals, drivers, SW compatibility. Digitization, transparency and ease of use made buying a laptop as easy as shopping for a hair...
  11. fivepast8

No Max, actually, your opinion and all others are worth a ton, especially, because I asked for it. Unsolicited opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one!
  12. fivepast8

Thank you all for the many feed-backs - a true treasure trove. I was not able to calculate or analyze the customer life time value... a very interesting suggestion. However, I did an analysis of all the figures and luckily for this shop, the margins on snake-oil and all other stuff are similar...
  13. fivepast8

A Call For Humor!

Wow, that is such a touching story, sooo much love... I have never been loved like that. I don't think that any of the ladies I dated in the past 50 years would ever do something like that. They tend to be lawyers, doctors or therapists and I am pretty sure, if in jail, they'd rather see me rot...
  14. fivepast8

I may be a bit naive. ASR is certainly not the "market" that would rely on a brick and mortar store or advice. Nonetheless, I can imagine that Zurich has a sufficient population who would love something nice, easy to use but don't want the hassle of reading up on everything and don't even have...
  15. fivepast8

Oh Tony, how difficult it is at times to remain diplomatic! Meeting some like minded folks would be a pleasure. Don't wait for a store opening: just give me a shout when passing through Zurich! Thank you for the encouragement and tips. Indeed, setting up and measuring systems at the clients...
Top Bottom