Recent content by firedog

1. F

Bricasti M1SE Stereo DAC Review

I own a Kii Three/BXT system (BXT is new). I never tell non-audiophile friends what my system costs. They think anything over a $1000 for listening to music is insane. And I never comment on their expensive watches and cars.
  2. F

Not a good example/analogy. Those cheap toasters are DESIGNED to fail after 2-3 years. In addition, many of them don't actually make toast well - they toast unevenly, burn, or undertoast. Many cheap DACs perform at or near state of the art and last for many years. So different. A better...
  3. F

For a piece of equipment like this, that's still sold thru traditional dealer channels, there's a good chance that half or even 70% of the retail price is due to the cosmetics - fancy knob, heavy feet, and the case hand milled from a block of aluminum. You have cost of production, and then...
  4. F

In audiophile circles, their cheaper ($5k) and more expensive models ($16K) seem to be more sought after: they have a separate 1 bit stage for DSD, so that DSD never is converted to PCM, it's just filtered out to analog. People who like DSD playback and use HQPlayer are looking for that. There...
  5. F

Review and Measurements of Holo Audio May --- Probably the best discrete R2R DAC

They have a new model for about $1200 - the Cyan2. It essentially does the same thing for less. DNR -127 It has more standard parts and PS, not "audiophile" parts.
  6. F

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

Wow, my Matrix streamer basically has the same functionality and cost around $1k - and has good measurements It doesn't have a touch screen, though. I guess that's worth $4k. A RPi with a nice touchscreen, an "audiophile" case and a good inexpensive pre and DAC would not total more than $$550...
  7. F

SoundArtist ("BBC") LS3/5A Speaker Review

These style speakers have a rep for a certain sound. Don't people buy these style b/c they like the sound - the sound that even on the originals and the licensed ones - isn't anything near flat or accurate? And I think that was intended at the BBC. Most people don't look at measurements - they...
  8. F

New Kii Seven

Why is it "bad"? If it's good quality reproduction, many people will find it all the bass they need.
  9. F

New Kii Seven

Kii specifically touts them as made for ATMOS. Both for home and for studio. I don't know exactly how it is supposed to work, but I'm sure we will find out.
  10. F

Remaining Considerations on DSD

Ripping: Nope buy an SACD/blueray player from Sony, Pioneer et all that can be hacked to rip SACD. It's pretty simple, and you can pick up these models used on eBay for between $25-$100. See thread https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/ There are specific...
  11. F

New Kii Seven

Don't remember where I saw it, but Kii confirmed all production of new units is with Purifi modules. Used to be a custom NCore like design.
  12. F

New Kii Seven

Kii has switched to Purifi amps. I don't think there's any conspiracy going on here. They are a superior design. Why not use them?
  13. F

New Kii Seven

For what? Context is everything. Type of plastic is context. Your statement is a gross generalization and thus not accurate.
  14. F

New Kii Seven

"Plastic" is essentially a meaningless term in this context. There are many kinds of plastic, from cheap and flimsy to expensive and extremely durable. I've had speakers with very expensive hand worked wood cabinetry, The Kii cabinet is superior and less prone to wear and damage.
  15. F

New Kii Seven

The cabinet is extremely high quality. What you call it, or preconceived notions about it aren't relevant to it's actual quality.
Top Bottom