Recent content by Few

1. Few

DIY 3D Speaker Scanner - the Mathematics and Everything Else

For those interested in using Python, I just found this source of spherical harmonics tools. I’m not sure if they do anything NTK hasn’t already worked out. Few
  2. Few

It looks to me like the spherical harmonic transform is the same as the fit to the angular components of the sound field. it doesn’t include the radial component, or the field separation. At least that’s my impression. Few edit: Maybe posted prematurely. I now see that later in the video he...
  3. Few

Desk setup for listening to music

In case you might consider diy: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/are-there-any-good-diy-planar-kits.317425/ I marvel at my planar magnetic desktop speakers every time I fire them up. Few
  4. Few

“Should have thought of that myself..." Nah…that’s what audio friends are for! Bummer the option is not part of Octave. Few
  5. Few

For help with Octave, you can search online for Matlab's generally excellent help. Find "round" here. The bottom line is the 4 dictates the number of digits the first argument should be rounded to. More specifically, if N is the second argument: N > 0: round to N digits to the right of the...
  6. Few

My LabVIEW program isn't ready for use in its current state. I'll have to dig it out and remind myself of its status. I think that when I paused development I had one bit of code to move stepper motors and an independent bit of code that does the acoustic measurements. They'd need to be put...
  7. Few

Good to know. Thanks. I actually wrote a program in LabVIEW that I can run from the Mac. It doesn't provide lots of ways to view the measurements, but it works well for acquiring the measurements. I made the same measurements with my program and with REW and found things match as expected. If I...
  8. Few

This version is a hybrid of the one in the Ebay Openbuild link Mark provided, and the interdigitated belt system I mentioned previously. Nice and simple, and very few parts! I wonder how much play there is in the position. Few
  9. Few

The only Windows in my house let in the light, so ARTA won't be a solution for me. I've tried several schemes for running Windows software on a Mac, and made it work, but I don't enjoy the experience. I did come across this YouTube video on Erin's Audio Corner. He goes into a bunch of detail...
  10. Few

Yeah I considered a threaded rod of some sort (acme, ball screw, etc.) but I’m assuming the vertical range of motion has to be pretty big. As I write that, though, I don’t have any firm numbers to base that on—what vertical range do we actually need? In any case, a large range of motion would...
  11. Few

The reason I am thinking of having the motor move is that I like this “ServoBelt” design which essentially eliminates timing belt stretch even when long runs are needed. In case it’s not clear, there are two belts, one with the teeth facing up, and another with the teeth facing down, and meshing...
  12. Few

As I sketch mechanical designs for a mic scanning device, I’m reminded of an issue I raised probably 2-3 years ago—stepper motor noise. Mechanically, I think it would be helpful to mount the motor that moves the horizontal mic boom vertically, right at the joint between the mic boom and the...
  13. Few

Videos of Klippel's crazy-complex mic positioner seem to me to show the vertical member (not the horizontal tube the mic is mounted to) moving radially. And the horizontal structure supporting the vertical member is surprisingly close to the mic and speaker. I'm a bit mystified that they get...
  14. Few

Sorry, I don't mean to interrupt a sub-thread with my reflections question, but Mark's comment helped me clarify what's nagging at me. The sound field separation identifies reflections from the stationary surfaces in the measurement environment. The blue vertical member in my diagram isn't...
  15. Few

Fearing I was making little sense, I sketched what I was trying to describe. My question boils down to whether it is important to move the red mic as shown by the red arrow rather than move the blue vertical member toward and away from the speaker, as shown by the blue arrow. Does the red arrow...
Top Bottom