Recent content by FeddyLost

1. F

DALI Oberon Vokal Center Speaker Review

Looks like some damping and thicker walls was saved to more expensive model range. But their centers all are of different design which is strange to me.
  2. F

SoundArtist ("BBC") LS3/5A Speaker Review

Looks like some weird attempt of el cheapo reminiscence of original BBC LS3/5A. Current technology allows manufacturing of decent midwoofers with controlled breakup and acceptable distortion even with high crossover and low orders. Of course it will barely fit mentioned price, because woofer...
  3. F

Dynaudio 18s vs sub 6

For sure NO. They clearly state "Lower Cutoff (Hz @85 dB +/- 3 dB) = 16" For 2x9" in sealed cab with 500W amp it's correct. For something much louder of course not (because of limiter if designer is competent). It's a small compact subwoofer. Nothing more. For reference you can read some...
  4. F

Speaker designs using Purifi drivers

And what are expected specs of finished speaker? Gryphon Poseidon DIY?
  5. F

Room Treatments in the Real World

AFAIK they use different speakers if possible. Typical mastering studio uses main monitors. If you can't absorb unwanted sound, you'll need to reroute it or properly scatter to avoid comb filtering and to exploit psychoacoustical mechanisms (ITD gap). All this requires some space. Because of...
  6. F

Actually, if you want to have "effectively anechoic" room without room-specific issues, but with reflections and spatial impression, such goal is even more difficult than damping everything. Good reflecting room with proper ITD gap is a tough project. At least, you'll need bigger room at start.
  7. F

I need to add that I've never seen studio with open baffle speakers. So it's very questionable solution if one needs correct reproduction of "original sound field" in typical control room with all consequences regarding "common standards" of room for these speakers.
  8. F

I hope your constructor have good understanding of proper acoustic treatment and drywall building, because in ordinary empty rectangular room of such size typical RT in lows can easily reach 2000 msec. With nasty vibration of drywall and modal issues simultaneously. In theory, if your room is...
  9. F

This prediction comes with some project of acoustic treatment. Project is more interesting than such prediction itself. Do you have some empty drywall room or a lot of windows? RT @ 125 before treatment is much less than RT @ 4000 which is unusual for an ordinary living room with furniture.
  10. F

Quest for Real Bass Traps

Looks like most effective pressure based solution for end-users. Tunable! For sure, it can't be cheap just because of design itself: it's huge square passive radiator in a sturdy box.
  11. F

Upgrade my system for better instruments separation

Just to avoid unneccessary actions, I'd recommend you to spend some time and money for visiting some good commercial studio with your "problematic" records and listen IF there is required clarity in control room. It might just not present even in record. Pursuit for "unreal clarity" is some...
  12. F

Dynaudio 18s vs sub 6

For good sub integration in real room most probably will be required something like delay, notch filters for room resonances and crossover slopes depending on exact situation (i.e. crossover with flexible settings). If you have big problems with amplification of speakers that can't handle LF...
  13. F

Dynaudio 18s vs sub 6

It's a mediocre solution due to 2 reasons 1) for good subwoofer integration in real world user needs little more than HPF 2) sending sinal to mains through any subwoofer will never improve it and most probably degrade it It's a quick and dirty way of integration sub with NFMs for bedroom producers.
  14. F

Distortion problem?

If this will not help, you can check separate harmonics in range of interest, not a sum of them. Sweep from 1K to 5K with max resolution and most probably you'll see some prominent peaks. After that you can go even narrower and then check enclosure for vibration or noises with e.g...
Top Bottom