Recent content by fcracer

1. F

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

Purifi and Dirac have pretty much stopped my perpetual upgrade cycle. The combination of low distortion, ample power, and digital room correction have given me everything I ever wanted. The only thing more I could ask for is better build quality and materials in my NAD M33. If they made a super...
  2. F

Stick or twist - NAD M33/Linn Selekt DSM

Unless you have very inefficient speakers, the M33 should provide plenty of sound output to meet any home use needs. Are you absolutely sure you need more power?
  3. F

OpenAI unveils A.I. Sora that instantly generates eye-popping videos

I hope I live long enough to see this AI tech mature. I have perhaps another 40 years in me!
  4. F

Single Revel F208 with low midrange output

Glad to hear you figured out what was wrong and were able to repair the speaker. However it really bothers me that Revel didn’t appear to step up. It baffles me that no Revel retailer reached out to help you. If I owned a hifi store and carried Revel, I’d offer to give you a speaker myself so...
  5. F

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary Speaker Review

It’s the NAD C3050 LE launched last year to celebrate NAD’s 50th anniversary. It’s a thoroughly modern integrated amplifier in a vintage body. It has HypeX UcD (100w x 2), Dirac Live, Airplay2, and BluOS. I wrote a review when I got it that has more info.
  6. F

I haven't looked into the Denton 85 yet, but when critical listening is on the agenda, I have Revel and Monitor Audio setups in other rooms. To be frank, in the bedroom, the Denton 80 and 3050LE are way overkill. I would be just as happy using a Marshall Acton III. It would be more convenient too...
  7. F

Amir, thanks for the measurements of this speaker. Based on the excellent measurements of the Linton and my experience with the Diamond series, I expected better from Wharfedale. However. I must admit that I bought these primarily for their looks and for that, they serve their purpose very well...
  8. F

Revel Salon 2 - $15 k 'last dance' sale

Everybody in China has a JBL speaker that they take to the park or when travelling. I doubt Samsung will let that revenue go. It’s very popular here in Asia.
  9. F

Dirac Reviews

I wrote about my experience with Dirac on the NAD M33 here (non-commercial blog) and included some measurements. In summary, it’s the single best improvement in sound I’ve experienced. I would not buy a device that doesn’t have it.
  10. F

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

Great to see you using REW! As long as you like the sound, that’s all that matters. What does the REW look like with no Dirac filter?
  11. F

Your room curve should typically slope down in the higher frequencies. The curve you have now will sound too bright. If memory serves me right, I have around +6db in the low frequencies and then slope down about -1db per octave. You can find the ideal room frequency preference in Floyd Toole’s book.
  12. F

Glad to hear it was resolved for you. FWIW, when I did my Dirac measurements, I recall the system volume was something like -50db or -45db. Anything higher and the room modes would trigger the clipping warning. I have a room mode that adds 20db at 47Hz, so I can't blame Dirac for triggering a...
  13. F

That could be the issue. Dirac Live website says to use version 3.4.4 with NAD. Anything newer can have problems. Dirac change log here: https://www.dirac.com/live/faq/helpdesk/software-changelog/
  14. F

If the pipeline is working correctly, and if my db math is correct, here are some power figures for the M33, assuming 0db on the unit is max power: 0db = 200W -3db = 100W -6db = 50W . . . -19db = 1.6W -22db = 0.8W -25db = 0.4W In my apartment, with the speakers 3m away (~9ft), with 90db...
  15. F

What version of dirac live are you using?
Top Bottom