Recent content by FalFung

1. F

Review and Measurements of SMSL VMV D1 DAC

Hi @amirm ! Is it possible for you to take a photo of inside the VMV-D1, together with the old board you took out? I am very interested in seeing whether SMSL has improved/updated their design through the manufacturing cycle (with newer version of board design). Also I could be more confident to...
  2. F

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Amirm has measured the THD+N vs Frequency on V1. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-smsl-su-8-dac.3778/post-90520 The maximum volume is between -5 ~ -7.5 dB before the distortion kicks in. By the volume control on SU-8, it is between level 30...
  3. F

I use a multimeter to read my v1.0 SU-8's XLR balanced output. From 38 - 0, each decreasing level is equivalent to decreasing by 1 dB. (i.e. level 37 is -1 dB, level 36 is -2 dB). Level 32 is what you expected, -6 dB. I used to have the same question before. I believe v1.1 is similar to v1.0...
  4. F

Thank you @SMSL-Mandy for posting the instruction! Also interested in whether the same method could be applied to the v1.0 boards. Hi @basil ! Congratulations on the soldering works! Do you mind taking a picture of the finished works when you are available? No hurry needed. I really want to...
  5. F

Hello @SMSL-Mandy , May I confirm which version change from 5V to 9V on three output switches? Does the update on both v1.1 and v1.2 boards, or on v1.2 boards only? A majority of the community who already have SU-8 might have the v1.1 boards. It might help us sleep better at the end of the day...
  6. F

HMM, I think Amirm's unit on the right is V2(V1.2). My Unit on the left is V1 (V1.0) Thank you for the comparison!
  7. F

I bought my SU-8 on July 14 this year, around the time @amirm post his first report. I just take a liberty to open up the unit and take some photos of the board. Notice that the version number on the lower-left corner of the board. It is version 1.0, dated on April 13, 2018. I cannot really...
  8. F

Review and Measurements of SMSL SU-8 DAC

Thank you @amirm ! My initial plan was to get a TOPPING DX7s during Black Friday Sale, if the SMSL SU-8 does have some flaw on XLR output. Now I can save a few bucks and hide them in my coach.Would love to save a little longer to get something with vast improvement like VMV D1.
  9. F

Hi @amirm! Thank you so much for you time! I think I might found what is wrong in my understanding/testing. I have confused "output stage saturating " with "clipping". Looking back to the SU-8's balanced output measurement, the sine wave is good in maximum level. The waveform does not show...
  10. F

Thank you @amirm ! It is great to know that you will have another unit for re-measuring. Looking forward to see if there is any unit variations. I was thinking if you are interested in measuring my unit.
  11. F

Hi @amirm ! So sorry that I did not mention it clearlyo_O I keep the headphone amp volume level the same, only change SU-8 's level. The maximum volume level of SU-8 using the remote control is 38. On listening test, when SU-8's volume level is set to 31 from the remote control, it is the same...
  12. F

Hi @amirm ! I connect my SU-8's balanced output to both of my headphone amps' balanced input (of course, tried on one amp, then tried on another amp).
  13. F

Hi @amirm ! I am growing more interested in the balanced output of SMSL SU-8. In my understanding, output stage saturating could show 2 symptom (both are saying, for instance, under -10 dB to 0 dB, 1 KHz or 2 KHz sine wave signal): 1). After certain point, even pushing the level higher, the...
  14. F

Thank you @andreasmaaan for your detailed explain! Now I see the reason behind. Feeling easier to sleep tonight;) Before you recommend me not to do, I already did listen to 1 KHz sine ware tone ... in a moderate volume level, a few days before. Still, feeling my brain being scrambled like eggs...
Top Bottom