Recent content by f1shb0n3

1. F

FS: Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X - $350 shipped in US

I like to add a 2dB extra bass boost on top of oratory1990's preset to compensate for the low-distortion bass that is perceived as "not punchy enough" when one is used to the typical distorted bass of most dynamic headphones (e.g. Sennheiser). Here's data to explain the "not punchy bass" issue...
  2. F

FS: Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X - $350 shipped in US

Used infrequently in the office only. Comes with brand new earpads (with stickers on) after the original ones got unglued and Dan Clark sent me new replacements which I have not used. Original box and all felt pad inserts are included. Cosmetic condition is great, with a couple of minor scuffs...
  3. F

SOLD: Topping D90 DAC

No longer available
  4. F

In-wall speakers upgrade recommendation

Don't really want to haul a ladder and check, but I wouldn’t worry about that much. Even if it’s not directly pointed at listener, rotating tweeter will still help get better treble dispersion.
  5. F

In-wall speakers upgrade recommendation

Not sure about degrees, but my speaker is highest on 9ft wall and I felt I can aim it well down towards my listening position at the sofa that's 18ft away. Aiming will affect dispersion for sure, but the tweeter in general disperses more narrowly than the bass driver so aiming will help with the...
  6. F

SOLD: Topping D90 DAC

Topping D90 DAC, AKM4499 chip, non-MQA, black, no issues, in original box. Local pick-up in Seattle available too with a discount.
  7. F

[SOLD] Monoprice Monolith THX-365IW In-Wall Speaker

For sale a single new Monoprice Monolith THX-365IW THX Ultra Certified 3-Way In-Wall Speaker. Opened the box to see how it looks, but it’s not been mounted or played. Considered using as a center, but gave up because it’s too big and would require cutting a stud which I want to avoid. Product...
  8. F

KEF LS50 Meta vs KEF R3

R3 near field on my desk calibrated with Dirac on MiniDSP SHD. I have stereo subs connected (used in home theater), but haven't felt the need to integrate them yet, R3 are great as is.
  9. F

My Informal Dirac Review

I use Dirac with full range, all my speakers need treble to be reduced a bit in some range.
  10. F

How to properly A/B compare speakers? Elac DBR62 vs Infinity R152 vs KEF R3 comparison.

I’ve not heard evo 4.2. Only know for sure R3 are very good and seem to be universally liked. R3 at 30% more than UBR62 seem like a good deal. You get more speaker pounds per dollar - R3 are large, heavy, shiny and built like a tank :)
  11. F

How to properly A/B compare speakers? Elac DBR62 vs Infinity R152 vs KEF R3 comparison.

Can't really say anything about a speaker I haven't heard :) My feeling is you'd be happy with either one of them as both seem well designed and measuring well. Don't buy KEF R3 at full price though, the current $2200 seems expensive and they'll probably discount them again to $1700 soon as they...
  12. F

I have R3 (and DBR-62 previously) on IsoAcoustics Iso-200 stands on both sides of a widescreen monitor as shown on the pic at my earlier post. None of these speakers are ideal for near-field in theory, certainly some nice coaxial Genelecs would be better. Also any speaker in this position will...
  13. F

I'd be curious to hear UBR-62 too, considered it also as an upgrade from DBR-62, but chose R3 instead. Seems that UBR-62 has a lot of the coaxial benefits of R3, but with wider soundstage (based on horizontal dispersion measurements). Erin's measurements here. Based on the data I'd infer R3 can...
Top Bottom