Recent content by excelsius

1. E

Quality speakers for classical music with high output/volume

Thanks. I'll need to read more details on this to get a better understanding.
  2. E

Don't quite understand this part. If a human is listening to two tones, one at 50Hz and another 500Hz at 80 phones, and perceives these two tones to be equal in loudness, doesn't this mean that the 50Hz tone is 20dB higher than the 500Hz to achieve that equal perception? That's what I thought...
  3. E

Thanks for bringing this up. I looked it up and it seems you're referring to room gain. I will have to get a better understanding of this, but based on this article from SVS, it seems like it might be more complex than simply adding 6dB per surface. The article says the frequencies affected...
  4. E

This discussion is exactly about speakers reproducing the music, as recorded. Assuming FM curves are correct, that automatically means that all that information is already encoded in the music for you to be able to hear it. It just becomes a matter of at which SPL can the speakers reproduce it...
  5. E

Nice explanation. To confirm how well I understand (or don't understand) these curves: Let's say a composer has written a piece for a bassoon (50Hz+) and violin (200Hz+) duo--unrealistic, but simplistic for the concept illustration The composer would control how loud each of the instruments...
  6. E

Appreciate the explanation, but to clarify, we are simply talking about essentially the physics of a sound generation by the speaker. The speaker doesn't know if it's driven by an internal or external amp. Also, if the physics of the process are clear to someone, it should not matter whether the...
  7. E

On-point, intelligible, and succinct. Thank you. Although the original conversation about this was with you, I was ambivalent about dragging you back in. Glad you jumped in. What you explain here the second time is just as I had understood you in your original post. Hopefully this clarifies...
  8. E

Thanks for the link and the nice visual. I had found the subwoofer comparison sheet elsewhere, but was not aware of the subwoofer thread, which is helpful. I think there lies the answer: CEA-2010. This is where SPL is limits are tested, but using audible distortion metrics, which is key. This is...
  9. E

If crossing over lower frequencies to the sub (i.e., the speaker does not receive those frequencies at all) would decrease how far the cone of the speaker would have to travel, I can understand why a sub might lower the distortion in the speakers. Room modes, I don't know anything about. But...
  10. E

Not entirely sure which spec you're referring to in that list. What I was referring to was the Freq vs SPL chart at 3% THD directly from the manufacturer showing that it can produce 40 Hz just a little under 100 dB SPL (link). And my question was if a high quality speaker can produce bass at...
  11. E

Yeah, most definitely. When I tested several works at the audio store, even though they sounded amazing, there was a very large amount of background hiss at high volumes. Nothing can really replace these old recordings, but I will definitely need to complement them with newer recordings with...
  12. E

I don't disagree with the main premise that it's much easier to drive a larger cone vs a smaller one and that at some point, the small cone will not be possible to drive at the same level as a larger cone due to design/material limitations, as @Head_Unit already explained earlier. But this...
  13. E

I have deliberately chosen not to comment on this topic and quite a few posts here, but maybe it's apropos to add: some of the flying tempers seem peculiar to me as well, especially since I usually associate expensive hobbies like this one with an older, hence (usually) wiser crowd. But even...
  14. E

I guess I need to add a balanced USB interface to the list as well then. Did you find even cheaper options than the Scarlett, by the way? I don't plan to keep re-measuring for each position. I will connect the ethernet cables, measure for the position where I spend the most time, and leave it...
  15. E

Read up a bit on it. Seems like a more accurate version is ISO226: This is good information and seems to further reinforce the idea that if the goal is to make the system louder, adding a sub is not the solution for it. I saw several comments about how large the diameter of the sub needs to...
Top Bottom