Recent content by ELOJR

1. E

iFi Nanao hum

Update: Thanks for the helpful responses to my questions. I replaced my iFi nano with a SMSL C200. I still had low level hum in the L/R monitors so I connected them via TRS cable (the iFi didn't have that option) and left the sub connected via RCA. Hum gone!
  2. E

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Question: Can I connect speakers to the RCA and the TRS outputs at the same time...as in TRS to my main L/R monitors and RCA to a sub? (I'd check this myself, but I don't have a TRS cable.) Thanks!
  3. E

And...in over 50 years of personal & professional experience with audio gear...inserting a jack into the headphone input always automatically muted the speaker outputs and allowed the volume control to adjust headphone volume. This included the iFi DAC that the C200 replaced. Now about that...
  4. E

"You obviously messed something up!!!" Messed something up? How, exactly?
  5. E

Never mind. Did a quick search of this great forum and found the answer. Having not come across this before, I never would have thought of switching gain from "L" to "H."
  6. E

OK...dumb question. Installed my new C200. Get audio out of desktop monitors fine, but...absolutely no audio from headphiones, which worked fine with my iFi noan. Thoughts?
  7. E

I replaced my iFi nano with the C200 and couldn't be happier. After just two years, the iFi started randomly losing a channel or outputted no audio, possibly due to a problem with the small toggle switch (which I rarely used). Also, it had a ground loop issue with my new monitors and that...
  8. E

iFi Nanao hum

Are there pros/cons to using either TRS or XLR? If not, then why offer both options?
  9. E

Are the TRS outputs balanced?
  10. E

iFi Nanao hum

Thanks, Tony. I'll try playing with the power cables and interconnects first. Looking ahead...the DAC I'm considering has TRS outputs, in addition to RCA, and the Kali's have TRS inputs. I know nothing about TRS. Would using those outs/ins do the same thing as going balanced? Thanks!
  11. E

iFi Nanao hum

OK...I did some troubleshooting. * When there is no connection to the Kali RCA inputs, there's no hum. * When the Kali's are connected directly to my desktop Mac or when they're connected with the iFi Nano in line, there's hum. So...clearly a ground loop. I know from audio experience that...
  12. E

iFi Nanao hum

Thanks much for the troubleshooting sessions. My (new) iMac has just two Thunderbolt and two USB-C ports (no optical like my older one), and so my iFi is connected via USB. But...based on your input, et me see what I can do to narrow the hum down.
  13. E

iFi Nanao hum

Mac and speakers are three pin plug. Interconnects are three feet...well made cables. My current monitors are relatively new...perhaps they are contributing to the problem. Although...I haven't noticed any hum with them before. Hmmmm
  14. E

iFi Nanao hum

Powered Kali LP6 V2 monitors. No amp needed. Plugging in another DAC is a great idea, but...I don't have another one
  15. E

iFi Nanao hum

Good question. Not a "physical" hum. An electrical hum that I hera from my speakers. It goes away when I disconnect the cable from the DAC, so speaker amp is hum-less.
Top Bottom