Recent content by Eirikur

1. Eirikur

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Please apply your own wisdom and heed the advise from Thomas - he just saved me from making a snarky remark at your expense!
  2. Eirikur

40K preamp measurements

Conversation piece for sure, but eye candy? It's hideous!
  3. Eirikur

State of movie theaters: mini rant.

I recently watched the restored "The Red Shoes" together with my mother (still doing ballet at 83!) - indeed far superior to any previous release.
  4. Eirikur

Mental Health and Audio Perception/Enjoynment

It is to other people ;) PS: I love Stairway, but admittedly I get to experience it live whenever I want to - my wife doesn't even complain!
  5. Eirikur

"Measurement data are one thing, and audio quality is another. "

Well, no. The alien wave forms are designed to bring flaws to light that relate to the science of signal processing (not music) and are "simple" on purpose - don't forget that your daily use may be vastly different from mine. Combining non-orthogonal test vectors is useful for broad sweep...
  6. Eirikur

MQA Sounds Really Good!

These services are great for some casual listening and discovering new music, an area once covered by radio shows. Once you know what you like it's still best to own it. In this context MQA is actually inconsequential, unless it prohibits you acquiring the best version of an album in a decent...
  7. Eirikur

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Adding a small rechargeable battery could reassure you that even silence is studio quality - imagine that, your entire life could be studio quality!
  8. Eirikur

Intermittent fasting

You don't need to worry too much about that, according to Heart UK. I happily eat 1-2 (boiled) eggs per day without any measurable effect on my cholesterol. Edit: "The science is clear that up to 3 whole eggs per day are perfectly safe for healthy people" - healthline.com
  9. Eirikur

What Hifi BS

I recently checked a commonly quoted place it might shine out of but alas... On topic: you may want to move in with your parents again and put your stereo on the landing upstairs: Study: Human Hearing Most Acute When Listening To Arguing Parents From Top Of Stairs (on the well respected science...
  10. Eirikur

What Hifi BS

Surely you know that 84.7% of all quoted statistics are made up?
  11. Eirikur

Movie Soundtracks We Enjoy

I like several Stephen Warbeck soundtracks, e.g. from Proof (2005) You'll probably recognize the style of Shakespeare in Love (also great).
  12. Eirikur

How much amplifier power is required?

Careful with the "Dynamic Range" numbers: DR calculation tools don't always do transients very well as they gather statistics and are designed to give a single number representative, something like the average of the moving average of each 3sec measurement window. Another limitation is lumping...
  13. Eirikur

High Energy Density Lithium Sulphur Battery Development

Not so in the Netherlands, we're switching off natural gas plants in favor of burning American/Canadian trees... does get us closer to the paper truth of UN environmentalism. I am very grateful that I can support this subsidized lunacy with my tax money (as opposed to jail for not paying tax)...
  14. Eirikur

MQA Sounds Really Good!

... and so would the FLAC of equal size. The problem is the unnecessary tax levied by Bob Stuart and friends.
  15. Eirikur

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Not crazy. I have a D10 now, but might still buy a D90 for the preamp and differential connectivity features... although D70 fulfills this purpose too. We're simply spoiled for choice, and features beside audibility are just as legitimate a reason for the final decision.
Top Bottom