Recent content by egellings

1. E

Extreme Snake Oil

Have another hit!
  2. E

Review and Measurements of u-turn Pluto and ART DJPRE II Phono Preamps

It's important to check if the op amp used in the preamp can handle the higher rail voltages.
  3. E

What is on your workbench right now?

3 different brands that look the same.
  4. E

New Open Baffle Speaker from Clayton Shaw

I find it hard to believe that the tweeter can go low enough to meet those woofers, or that the woofers can go high enough to meet the tweeter.
  5. E

If more speakers don't help, why do cars have so many speakers?

In the case of auto sound, it's often for horsepower (many speakers, huge amplifiers) than it is sound quality. Don't know why cars bring out that sort of a mentality. I once saw a video of a preposterously overpowered sound system playing in a car with the owner standing outside of the car, and...
  6. E

About design philosophy _ are minimalists right or not ?

Some problems simply don't have simple solutions. Either that, or simple solution may work but a bit more complex one may work better. Use as much complexity as needed and no more.
  7. E

How Long Do Speakers Sound as They Were Designed ?

Slow changes remind me of my eyeglasses getting dirty as time goes by. I don't notice the incremental change over time, but when I wash the glasses, then the change (vision degradation) sticks out like a sore thumb.
  8. E

Extreme Snake Oil

Vinyl playback setups can have a lot of variability in S.Q. as well. If the device is electro-mechanical, you'll get variability. Electronics, once good enough, will sound very similar if not identical.
  9. E

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Finial Labs, was it called?
  10. E

Maybe it's because the designs are more competent, rather than the speaker being newer.
  11. E

Electrostatic speakers?

Has anyone come out with a diaphragm material that is intrinsically slightly conductive, so that a coating need not be applied?
  12. E

Tech Reviewer: Do Bad Reviews Kill Companies?

My impression is that a bad review can kill a product more quickly than the product itself will because with the review, every prospective buyer who sees the review will be tipped off and not waste the time and money on the product. If the product is poor but not reviewed, there will be a larger...
  13. E

Electrostatic speakers?

'Stats work well when augmented with a cone type woofer.
  14. E

All tweeters would be exposed to air, wouldn't they? The tweeters in my ProAc speaker towers do not use ferrofluid.
  15. E

Extreme Snake Oil

100 to 300 ohm Zo wouldn't be damaging if that output were driving a preamp or power amp input, which typically exceed 10K. Directly driving headphones would be a totally different story for sure.
Top Bottom