Recent content by ebslo

1. E

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

Volumio 3 update just dropped :). No announcement on the MiniDSP forum yet, but it was announced in a newsletter and my SHD is getting the update now.
  2. E

I got it before the SHD to see what DSP could do in my system, but since getting the SHD I just use it for playing with/testing experimental configurations.
  3. E

They announced a beta of Volumio 3 in June of this year, and called for testers. Yes, it's moving slow and there have been no public updates since, but it is moving.
  4. E

I actually like Device Console. Yes, the display regression is a minor annoyance, but it handles synchronizing with offline changes much better, and a single app now controls both my SHD and my 2x4HD.
  5. E

What are we listening to right now..

Hermanos Gutiérrez: Tiny Desk Concert
  6. E

Moving mic vs. averaged vs. single point measurements - which is better?

Maybe I should clarify, it depends how you're doing your EQ. If you measure all channels together and apply the same EQ to all channels: use MMM because you don't need any phase info. If you measure and EQ each channel individually, use single point. The phase info is necessary to simulate and...
  7. E

Moving mic vs. averaged vs. single point measurements - which is better?

TLDR: It doesn't matter (for me anyway, YMMV). I equalize from single point, but take MMM as sanity check and for final verification. I break it down like this: above Schroder: Doesn't matter, should be using anechoic anyway. Transition: It's a mess and mostly not minimum phase, so I'm only...
  8. E

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

I returned mine for exchange. My replacement unit is silent; not everyone was so lucky.
  9. E

"Fast" woofers.

He's using an apodizing filter.
  10. E

1 Subwoofer / 2 Subwoofers Measurements

If you can set delays individually for each sub, then measure each sub independently (with acoustic timing reference on one of the main speakers) and use the REW alignment tool to determine best polarity and delay. If you can't then you will be very limited in what you can do. Of the options...
  11. E

Help with understanding my room measurement

< 60Hz: Your speakers can't drive the room at this low frequency, you would benefit greatly from a subwoofer (but only if you have the electronics to properly integrate it). > 60Hz, < 120Hz - Room modes. EQ is very effective at knocking down these peaks. Acoustic treatment at this frequency is...
  12. E

"Fast" woofers.

Welcome :) If you read the rest of the thread (it's not particularly long) and ask specific questions on points that need clarification, you will come to see how no violation of physics is required. That said, I'll try a simple appeal to intuition. Consider a subwoofer playing a 100Hz tone...
  13. E

Which way is up? (Which way does a loudspeaker driver move?)

So as frequency (or driver diameter) increases and the beamwidth narrows, does pressure remain in phase with driver acceleration, or does it shift towards the phase of driver velocity as it would in the hypothetical infinite driver diameter case?
  14. E

Ok, so now I'm curious. Is there a difference between a finite-diameter driver in an infinitely long tube vs. a driver with infinite diameter in a free field? ps. And of course by "infinite" in both cases, I mean much greater (by an order of magnitude or two) than the wavelength.
  15. E

Yes, for sure. And that animation isn't really trying to show the phase relationship to the driver, it seems to be trying more to show the relation of particle movement to pressure propagation. But if someone were to infer something about the driver phase relation from it (as @pjug seemed to be...
Top Bottom