Recent content by earthtodan

1. E

Does anybody actually listen to "Hotel California" outside of gear demos? (answer: apparently so)

I assumed the forum would generally agree with me, so I didn't think about how it might go if they didn't. Now I can see I was being an ass in public. Live and learn.
  2. E

Does anybody actually listen to "Hotel California" outside of gear demos? (answer: apparently so)

Huh. I guess I stand corrected. When I go to hell, it will be sitting in a waiting room somewhere with this song playing on repeat through set of ceiling speakers, and the wait never ends.
  3. E

This morning the sound of "Hotel California" by The Eagles came blasting from the apartment upstairs. Somehow I had it in my head that this song exists only in the realm of mid-fi audio demos, selected by people going for a "safe," well recorded yet relentlessly upbeat jukebox track, avoiding...
  4. E

Compact amp with volume control for desktop setup

Awesome, I ordered the Topping PA3s! Also tempted to get the Burson class A/B amp just to compare, but now I'm just getting carried away.
  5. E

Yep, the PA3 is a bit wonky. I didn't know about the PA3s though, and it looks just fine. Also, it's available now. The PA3s uses TRS balanced inputs, which I've never heard of, while my DAC uses XLR line outputs. Is there any problem using XLR to TRS cables?
  6. E

Ah, but where is the volume knob? ;) I have a miniDSP 2x4+miniAMP from back in my DIY days (circa 2011), plus a DC-DC converter, but no DC power source, plus that kit doesn't have a volume knob either. A bit of searching brought up the Burson Funk. This might fit the bill nicely...
  7. E

Hi all, I'm shopping for a desktop amp to power a pair of small full range, single driver speakers, and the kicker is that it needs a volume knob (because my DX7 Pro DAC disables the volume control in line output mode :facepalm:). A Topping PA3 would fit the bill nicely, but I'm turned off by...
  8. E

RME ADI-2 DAC or miniDSP SHD as preamplifiers?

Couldn't you just leave the SHD on all the time, and then switch source inputs as necessary? Or would you still have to manually wake it up out of standby mode? The DDRC-22 doesn't require much interaction.
  9. E

RME ADI-2 DAC or miniDSP SHD as preamplifiers?

I have a miniDSP DDRC-22 going into an RME ADI-2 FS. The variable loudness feature and the parametric EQ are not room-correction lite, and they are not a substitute. DIRAC is more than just a fancy EQ. Aside from taking measurements around the room and knowing what to correct, it does tricky...
  10. E

OSD Nero Stream XD Review (streaming amplifier)

Good question. No. I was a headphone and car audiophile hobbyist about 10 years ago, but I never got into home audio because it was too big and involved and I had no money. When I moved into my current apartment at the beginning of 2020 and set up a new system, I wanted to believe that amps are...
  11. E

Hi fi, low volume

It can be fairly noisy. The fridge is on the other side of the wall from the TV, and the masking effect at low level listening at night is obvious. It also helps to keep the windows closed to shut out noise from the wind, the road, birds and foot traffic outside. Now that you point it out, I am...
  12. E

Hi fi, low volume

The couch is 6'-7' back from the speakers, and the living room is the priority over the listening room. Now that we're reopening and I can start having guests over again, it would be kind of strange to set it up as a one-person near-field listening space, so the stereo will have to work within...
  13. E

Hi fi, low volume

Wow! I didn't know that existed, but now I think I need one. From the RME manual: 8.5 Loudness Another legacy of HiFi amplifiers: there has not been a single one missing a feature called Loudness. It tries to address the changes in frequency-dependent hearing sensitivity over different volume...
  14. E

Hi fi, low volume

Hi all, I live in a large apartment complex that was hastily built out of a few sheets of plywood and drywall in the 1960s. Over the past year-plus of working from home I've been getting by with my Grado headphones, but now my inner home audiophile is coming out of hibernation and trying to set...
Top Bottom