Recent content by earlevel

1. E

AI generated music

Yes, it's going to be, um, "interesting". There is a lot to be worried about (but I don't like spending my time worrying). A little be like the threat of everyone being replaced by robots, except far further reaching and much, much faster (building and installation of robots is more limited by...
  2. E

AI generated music

Just created a dozen tries from my lyrics. Audio quality is better than Suno, song quality is worse. Sort of sounds like having a very good band on tap that will make tongue-in-cheek caricatures of the style you ask for. Suno can be more surprising how close a song is to what you'd hear playing...
  3. E

AI and Future of Music Production

Well, I'd say those things are a little different from AI. Autotune is procedural, someone coded what it should do. An AI voice is one that is shown a singer's voice and singing, then, "now you do it—sing these notes using these words." And an AI composer is shown examples of country music until...
  4. E

AI and Future of Music Production

So many things to unpack about what is happening and what will happen and what its impact will be... I've played with Suno lately, on a month's subscription. I don't have it generate lyrics, I supply mine—from songs I've already written and recorded—and it's fascinating to hear how it...
  5. E

Old DAC Question

Good point, though it seems this one is probably actual 20-bit—8x oversampling with 27-bit accuracy on the filter calculations and -120 dB stop band. There not much reason for a -120 dB stop band if you're going for 16-bit output, you could use a lower order filter.
  6. E

Canton speakers.

LOL. So, I can't say a pair of speakers I bought 40 years ago were good and I enjoyed them. Brilliant. If you mean no point of you talking to me, yes, please stop. I'll type as I please, though. Meanwhile, you're in the wrong thread, pushing your KEFs. The OP didn't ask for measurements, and...
  7. E

Canton speakers.

Pointless for me to comment I liked them? In a thread in which the original post asks about people's experience with them? ("Any Canton owners here who like to chime in?") Good luck with telling people what they aren't allowed to talk about in a thread "Canton speakers", while you go on and on...
  8. E

Canton speakers.

So what? Sheesh, I just don't get your dogged determination to tell people they made a bad choice. This was 1985, not today when I can look up measurements, buy anything I want from catalogs and get it delivered the next day. I went to the two local audiophile shops and used my ears and budget...
  9. E

Canton speakers.

I'm talking about just shy of 40 years ago. The KEFs were OK, but to me the ones I listened to didn't sound right without more power, despite the salesman saying they didn't need more power (but sounded better when he switched to a bigger amp). Don't recall the price difference, they were...
  10. E

Canton speakers.

About 1985, I auditioned a number of speakers, buying an entirely new system. I had a modest budget, looking for bang for the buck. First, I should stress I wasn't kid looking for "impressive" sound, I was 29, classically trained pianist, active musician, I auditioned speakers with choral music...
  11. E

Best No oversampling dac to buy??

No, it's not influenced by the reconstruction filter—that only bandlimits the output (plus, as I assume you're saying here, compensation for the sinc rolloff, aka "droop"). ZOH causes only convolution with a one-sample-period rectangular pulse. In other words, it's an FIR filter, with...
  12. E

Yeah, please read what I wrote through in one piece. I get the feeling you're seeing phrases and reacting. It's just a lowpass filter. One whose purpose is to bandlimit. A DAC first converts from digital (inherently discrete time) to discrete-time analog to analog. The part that converts from...
  13. E

Well, it's not a product of digital to analog conversion, it's a product of a possible implementation of digital to analog conversion. But that possible implementation is also the most practical one. Samples are impulses, so the straight forward way to make a DAC is convert each digital sample...
  14. E

You are showing me a slide that for "reconstruction filter options" has multiple blocks that result in analog output. In other words, the reconstructed output. There's a digital filter at the start of the block. How does that justify calling a digital filter a reconstruction filter? >So you are...
  15. E

A digital filter does not reconstruct the continuous signal, nor its frequency content. I mean, this goes without saying—as digital samples, it's PCM. The Pulse Code Modulated signal, not the signal. It's the signal with sidebands to infinity. We haven't recovered—or reconstructed—the signal...
Top Bottom