Recent content by dwkdnvr

1. D

Ishiwata Toe In (Extreme Toe In), have you tried this?

Earl Geddes suggested the same setup for his Summa and related speakers, I believe. Back when I had Unity horns in a way-too-small room I used this setup and it really did work very well, but I suspect you need speakers with fairly good/uniform dispersion characteristics (less of a problem now...
  2. D

MEH - multiple entry horn for commercial purpose?

My take is that the Synergy is an evolution of the Unity that alters the geometry and xover topology so the entire multi-entry horn system becomes phase coherent / minimum phase. I think it's an interesting question as to whether a Unity system that uses DSP to achieve the same goal would be...
  3. D

Does anyone produce a USB to USB DSP that I can put in between a streamer and DAC?

You don't even need separate hardware for the Pi4 - it allows using "USB gadget mode" to allow operating as a USB audio target. You can then use CamillaDSP to apply arbitrary EQ/digital xover etc before passing it on to an output soundcard. CamillaDSP even includes some rather slick dynamic...
  4. D

Harman acquires Roon

Well, IMHO the decimation occurring in the video streaming world should be a caution against relying entirely on online services for content. Maybe the fact that there has been separation between the streamers and the catalog owners right from the start in the audio business will result in a...
  5. D

Rythmik FM8

I'm running mine as stands, effectively turning the LS50 Metas into 3-way floorstanders. The FM8s + SHD mean I can cross higher than a typical LFE xover would run. I think I'm running at 150Hz which offloads the Kefs. Certainly not ideal from a 'big iron HT' perspective where people want to run...
  6. D

Rythmik FM8

Wow - reviving a stale thread that I'd forgotten about. I'm still using dual FM8s, although I've moved my R3s to an office/desktop setup and replaced them with LS50 Metas (and added a 3rd Meta as a center). Still very happy with this solution for a space and aesthetically constrained system...
  7. D

DPreview to be shuttered. [ not anymore]

Yes, there was a time where the forums there were pretty toxic and I stayed away for a while. I started visiting a couple years ago though, and found it MUCH better - far less 'brand superiority' fights, and even the 'sensor size' fights were largely muted. I'm not sure whether this was due to...
  8. D

Coming soon: MiniDSP Flex with HDMI input

I'll guess that it'll be well above $800. I'm guessing at least $1100 plus at least $300 extra for multi-channel DIRAC, but with the Flex-8 only being $599 maybe I'm being too pessimistic (since there are no codec licensing concerns since it's LPCM only). If it is $800 for the base unit, it may...
  9. D

Coming soon: MiniDSP Flex with HDMI input

This is an interesting offering and I'm curious as to what the price will be. I suspect it'll creep up into HT receiver levels which will make it a tougher sell. Still, getting closer to what so many have been clamoring for - a way to run a hybrid audio/video system while getting away from HT...
  10. D

I have tried to resist the youtube influence, but it's becoming impossible. So much content only lives there now. And, a large part of what brought me back to more serious engagement with photography is getting started in birds (and other wildlife I suppose), and it seems that youtube is the...
  11. D

Yes, this is simply untrue. The high-end mirrorless offerings from all brands are all significant steps up from any DSLR, with the possible exception of AF behavior in very low light. (well, and battery life) Far better autofocus, far better burst capabilities, and while expensive the premium...
  12. D

Most cringeworthy Movie Cliche.

Apparently Gravity's Rainbow just turned 50 (as did Dark Side of the Moon, oddly) not a bad article https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/a43095495/gravitys-rainbow-anniversary/ And yeah - I'm not sure GR has 'a plot' in the conventional sense, or at least 'the point' isn't one that is...
  13. D

KEF LS50 Meta vs KEF R3

I'm not sure I'll do a direct comparison, but I moved my R3's over to my desk and have LS50 Meta's arriving tomorrow which will take up residence on top of the Rhythmik FM8's in the TV setup. The R3's have enough extension that I don't have to complicate the desktop setup with a sub, and the...
  14. D

New Product: Arvus H2-4D Atmos Renderer, Simultaneous 16 channel AES/Balanced Analog/Dante Output

Yes, this is the 'obvious' low-ish way to handle this. Does make me wonder how clock sync/clock skew would be handled. Maybe I need to do some reading.
  15. D

New Product: Arvus H2-4D Atmos Renderer, Simultaneous 16 channel AES/Balanced Analog/Dante Output

Oh, now THAT is interesting. Obviously still a bit niche requiring Dante/AES67, but it makes it a potentially viable alternative to a mass-market receiver or pre-pro. I'm not sure I'm actually in the market for something like this, but it will make me pay closer attention to see how it develops.
Top Bottom