Recent content by dumbsuck

1. D

Sony MDR-Z1R Headphone Review

Yes. If there were no measurements of this headphone, I would just hear there is something seriously wrong with the sound, guess that it is somewhere above 1K but below 5K (my ears are not trained) and use the graphic EQ foobar plugin to reduce band by band by several dB till I would hear the...
  2. D

If you check the measurements here and here and use the inspect tool, you can see it shows the peak to be almost exactly at 3.25 KHz. To verify I hear the peak at that frequency, I used this tool and ran some frequency sweeps. Edit: Also, the Graphic Equalizer plugin for foobar has a slider...
  3. D

Have had these for about 9 days now. These are my impressions: Not very good. Bass is bloated. The 10K peak could be less pronounced, but I am not really bothered by it much, although it does make vocals sibilant on some tracks. The biggest problem for me is the 3.2K peak that ruins their sound...
  4. D

TOPPING D90 III Sabre DAC Review

@amirm are the filter names/colors correct? According to the ES9039PRO datasheet, "Minimum Phase" and "Linear Apodizing" should not be as slow as the graphs here show. Also, "Slow Minimum" and "Min Phase Slow" sound like they should be the same filter, but clearly are shown not to be the same...
  5. D

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

The measurements are what kept me from buying them for months but recently there have been 7 things that made me realize my ears are perhaps not exactly "Harman-tuned" and FR measurements do not reflect whether I enjoy a given headphone or not :) : 1) While listening to my EMU Teak extensively...
  6. D

To update on my previous post, like I wrote, lately I've been hearing very quiet "click" sounds, similar to the one the amp does when turned on or switched between HP and PRE, on random occasions when the amp is on, usually several minutes after I turn it on in the preamp mode. Since I now have...
  7. D

Hi. Is it normal that my L30, SN 2102xxxxx, does 2 clicks when being turned on in preamp mode? 1st click is a second after I turn it on, that is I assume normal, but the 2nd click it does after being on for about 5 minutes. Is that OK?
  8. D

What are we listening to right now..

This is one of the best albums I've ever heard. The songs are beautiful and production is pristine. Utter shame it never got an official release. Luckily I have a lossless CD rip...
  9. D

Denon DN-200BR Professional Bluetooth Receiver Review

By "supporting" 24 bits, I guess the authors of the codec mean that AptX HD achieves a higher dynamic range than 16 bit LPCM - about 102 dB for frequencies below 5 KHz - which is still nowhere near "true" 24 bit's dynamic range of 144 dB across the entire frequency spectrum for LPCM. Above 5...
  10. D

Denon DN-200BR Professional Bluetooth Receiver Review

AptX is better than SBC. Here's why: People do not listen to pure sinewaves. At least most people don't. There are 2 problems with SBC. The first one is that vendors are free to implement SBC in their own way and no vendor ever implemented SBC in any better quality than the "High quality"...
  11. D

Headphones (<$500) with un-EQd frequency response closest to neutral speakers in a treated room?

Hi, I own some of the headphones mentioned here and some others, all below $500. What I'm looking for in a headphone is mostly neutral sound with naturally sounding midrange and treble (no grittiness, sharpness etc in vocals and cymbal sounds, no sibilance, general smoothness with detail intact)...
  12. D

Creative SXFI AMP Review (headphone adapter)

Yes, that little thing is definitely worth $50, I paid 60€ for mine and am happy with it
  13. D

in addition to the measurement that staticV3 provided 2 posts back, I personally found out about the resampling in Archimago's blog post about the SXFI amp; also I then verified that using RMAA and my EMU 0404 USB, output was, indeed, cut at 24 KHz
  14. D

I wonder how many people will listen to 96KHz hi-res music on this thing thinking "oh boy hi-res sounds so good" not knowing that the SXFI/X1 internally downsamples 96KHz to 48KHz XD
  15. D

Apodizing filters...how do they work? Why are they considered bad by some?

Thank you all for all the info. Now I wish I had a friend with the D10B who would be willing to bring it over and do a blind test :) After reading the replies here and stuff online it seems different companies have different definitions of an 'apodizing' filter. I'll just continue enjoying the...
Top Bottom