Recent content by DSJR

1. DSJR

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Thanks for the link - I agree with much of that article, having dealt with certain individuals over the years. There are also properly qualified UK based (one also wrote/writes for Stereophile sometimes) audio gear measurement 'guru's' who in their day, 'bent the truth' to suit the growing...
  2. DSJR

Fun with vinyl measurements

Many in my MM stash are 'microphonic' through the speakers when the arm is handled (it's admittedly a lively type so I have to choose some pickups carefully). The MC's I have here don't excite the arm at all fortunately. Biggest regret with the deck I use mainly (when I feel like playing a...
  3. DSJR

What are we listening to right now..

Can meets Japan - Czukay and Sylvian
  4. DSJR

But this is a VERY expensive SME V tonearm where much design care was made forty odd years back to get the headshell level and the arm pipe as rigid as possible. I remember Rega RB arms of old sometimes had slight errors in the head part due to paint ant not being skimmed flat (Michell used to...
  5. DSJR

I'm calling this another answer to an inaudible problem based on my experiences of old. The mass of decent screws is as nothing with an AT moving coil in an SME V and the azimuth as pictured above is way off if you check the reflection on the mirrir/plate the stylus is sitting on... Vinyl is...
  6. DSJR

What's with the add-on between carttidge and headshell? Nylon screws? and where's the finger lift SME carefully designed? The cartridge has azimuth issues according to the pic as viewed from the front... Seriuously, if you won't listen to me, please condsider using the screws and nuts (with...
  7. DSJR

Do CD players sound different to each other?

I did try to justify what I said and I think you may have found that Denon, Sony, maybe JVC (unknown to me sadly) and others actually *did* perform better and more truthfully in terms of sonics I now realise, as they weren't tweaking for What HiFi 5* reviews... To me, what I posted seemed...
  8. DSJR

Do CD players sound different to each other?

The 63KI player was a nasty thing, but the perceived extra 'deeeeetail' sold it to legions of WTF 5* review followers with a Rotel 965 tweaked model in hot pursuit. Not a comfortable listen and the popularity of the thing clouded our UK attention away from mid to upper Denons and remaining...
  9. DSJR

Grado... how many of you run em ?

More modern ones are dull as ditchwater and not fully stable with medium to higher mass tonearms. Some analogue inclined people don't seem to like medium-high 'presence' frequencies much it seems, but like the Rega MM's made in their factory, I find them so bland getting worse as you go up the...
  10. DSJR

A Closet Discovery

I can understand that vibe... The Class D amps are, like almost all modern dacs away from the silly-part of the high end, basically amplifier 'appliances' bought to do the job and nothing more. The B&K is totally unknown to me, but looks like a meaty old beast from yesteryear (the type of big...
  11. DSJR

Wharfedale Diamond 12 Owner's Thread

My old second-system Diamond 7.2SE's with 'buy wiring' terminals use the supplied solid brass rods (2mm diameter and maybe 40 - 50mm spacing?) as links. I'd not want to increase hf level at all, so the brass rods stay put and they look better anyway!.. Mind you, add-on fancy wire links do look...
  12. DSJR

I have no truck with such people, especially now when I don't NEED to soft peddle so much, but I'm still interested in the products and still feel the subject of *this* review would balance fairly well bass to upper mids in a smaller room, close to the wall behind to aid bass level. Sure it's...
  13. DSJR

The Zu's I heard were distinctly 'odd' to put it politely and not especially pleasant to enjoy the music reproduced (this before i saw measurements of their speakers).
  14. DSJR

Sorry, I meant a complete speaker model at $750pr. Not able to listen obviously, but I'd rather have an 8" driver like this with a gentle equalisable lift in the upper hundred hertz region to a 'precision' metal (I typed mental!!! :D) cone driver which is smooth and flat and goes absolutely...
Top Bottom