Recent content by Dro

1. D

Dan Clark E3 Headphone Review

Because of how the pads touch when the headphone (Stealth/Expanse/E3/Aeon) is not in use, one thing that you can do is put a piece of paper between the pads over night, which will absorb most of the skin oils and smell. I have used the pads on on my Stealth for about 11 months now with this...
  2. D

Why so few headphone amplifiers with a bass / tremble controls ?

In popular belief hi-fi, your choice of DAC and amp is the bass and treble control.
  3. D

Sony Xperia 5 IV Audio Review

If my wireless provider told me that I couldn't use my perfectly up to spec phone because it is not "certified", I would change providers, not phones.
  4. D

Sony Xperia 5 IV Audio Review

You can still get the Asus Zenfone 8 or 9, which have the 3.5 mm out. Biggest downside is that the Zenfone 8 won't go beyond Android 13 and the 9 likely won't go beyond Android 14. But at least they are rather cheap for flagships.
  5. D

FS: MiniDSP EARS, Reed Instruments R8050 SPL meter and R8090 calibrator

The EARS measures pretty reliably below 2 kHz, above it gets a bit spotty. But my EARS already has been sold elsewhere. Unfortunately, you cannot edit posts here after 24 hours. Reed R8050/R8090 still available.
  6. D

Is headphone harmonic distortion correction possible?

Active noise cancellation also tends to reduce harmonic distortion, at least in bass and lower mids. Example: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/bose/qc35-ii/
  7. D

FS: MiniDSP EARS, Reed Instruments R8050 SPL meter and R8090 calibrator

MiniDSP EARS: Affordable headphone measurement jig. Bought in 2018. Condition is very good. The silicone has yellowed a bit, but is still very flexible and tacky. The metal at the top has a bunch of tiny spots where the black coating went off and one slightly larger chip. I put some black tape...
  8. D

FS: MrSpeakers Dan Clark Audio DCA Aeon Flow Open and Ether 2 (US only)

Aeon price dropped to $250 due to the pads aging. The pleather has started to tear and flake.
  9. D

Not anymore. I can probably get a better price elsewhere for them. I wish we could edit posts older than one day here, but we can't... The Aeon is still available for 290.
  10. D

Only if you have a US address for me to ship to or can pick it up here.
  11. D

The IEM Harman Target 2019 sounds "off" to me. Is it just me?

I have an Etymotic ER2XR and also the Truthear Zero. The ER2XR have worse Harman tracking, but sound better to me. I think the IEM Harman target has overdone its bass shelf and treble boost.
  12. D

How do you hear headphone 'soundstage'

Mostly just in front of my head. Soundstage width is the same for me, going from IEMs to an HD800.
  13. D

Maybe a bit more than other planar magnetics. Pretty much like the DCA Stealth going by my volume settings. I listen around -20 dBr on my ADI-2 DAC. That gives me about 85 dBA while using Replay Gain without any pre gain. So hitting around 105-110 dBA should be possible on the ADI-2 DAC.
  14. D

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

I think the different target bass levels are the explanation. I also noticed some higher treble. I would say the Zero sounds like a DCA Stealth with some loudness applied. I also don't think the sound is bloated yet, due to how the bass shelf is primarily boosting frequencies below 80 Hz, but...
Top Bottom