Recent content by dr0ss

1. D

Yamaha R-S202 Receiver Review

In that case I understand the question, and agree with the consideration (even beyond the question of sensitivity). On paper most non-rubbish amps are capable of delivering amplification that is essentially straight-line excepting levels of noise and distortion that are beyond our ability to...
  2. D

I can't have made it much clearer that that was what I was offering, so no need for the snark. Amir hasn't tested the combination of this receiver and these speakers. (I suppose he possibly could, since he had a pair of the speakers at some point.) I've lived with the combination, and...
  3. D

What an odd set of replies. Someone who hasn't tried this combination of devices (R-S202+Wharfedale Diamonds) suggested it, I pointed out that I found that this combination of devices was not good to my ears based on actually owning and using them. This is not something that can be argued with...
  4. D

Yamaha is an R-S201, which is the same as the R-S202 except no bluetooth. If you mean the receiver it replaced, that was a Technics SA-110. (And I misspoke, the Technics was only rated 20wpc, not 30.)
  5. D

As I wrote above, it is hard to describe without using audiophile language, which I don't like to do. I can make the speakers loud with the Yamaha, but the sound lacks any presence. With the vintage 30wpc receiver it replaced, the speakers always filled the room with lovely rich sound (or at...
  6. D

That's exactly the combination with which I am unsatisfied, compared to the vintage receiver the Yamaha replaced. I wouldn't recommend it.
  7. D

We bought an R-S201 (same receiver without bluetooth) in 2016 for around $130 to replace a dead 1980s 30wpc Technics in a vacation house. We hated it from day one. I can't give the main reasons why without using audiophile terms, suffice it to say to my ears the sound was...less? There has...
  8. D

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

Very nice. I have an older Beosystem 3300, but no B&O turntable. The remote is amazing, it can select individual tracks on any connected device, I would love to be able to do that on the turntable as well.
  9. D

The Courteous Vinyl Playback Discussion

Not all spindles are exactly the same size. It is possible that that it was enlarged to fit more easily on his table.
  10. D

Wait, so someone sold you the TT but held onto the cover because you wouldn't drop $800 on it? I once did something similar, sold a car but kept the custom-fit cover because the buyer wasn't willing to pay an extra $30. I still have that cover, 20 years later, taking up space. I was an idiot.
  11. D

And if you plan on doing it often, a banana jack-to-RCA adapter can be soldered together in a few minutes, leaving the receiver in original condition. Over the years I've frequently mucked with the innards of old equipment to get it to work properly with newer pieces, but I always try to make...
  12. D

One point in owning vintage gear is to keep it as true to original condition as possible.
  13. D

Last winter I connected some speakers to a vintage B&O receiver with DIN connectors and 12ga cable, since that's what I had lying around. It worked, but I had to bend back some of the cable strands at the connector end.
  14. D

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

Somewhere between North America and Oceania (I reluctantly voted for the former). The first one isn't my photo; I'm on the other side, and photos get cluttered by the palm trees: (Photo credit https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Diamond_Head_Hawaii_-_panoramio.jpg) On the other hand...
  15. D

FOSI Box X4 review

After my post I bought a TC-750LC (the one with level control) for our vacation house. It works well, though I don't have the ability to do measurements. I should have sent it to Amir for review, since it is currently shut up in a cabinet not being used. Maybe this summer.
Top Bottom