Recent content by Dougey_Jones

1. Dougey_Jones

JBL HDI-1600 Speaker Review

I bought a pair at Harman employee pricing when they first came out, that was $375/ea, so you’re close. Read into that as much as you want.
  2. Dougey_Jones

JBL HDI-1600 Speaker Review

Unreal price for these..
  3. Dougey_Jones

ART USB Phono Plus Review

Ahh, if you're using it for crossover functions as well, then the Flex Balanced is a no brainer.
  4. Dougey_Jones

The -110db SINAD DAC in the Flex is no slouch, so it’s a tough call to make. I wouldn’t be able to hear the difference between it and my SU-9, which is 9db better, but the SU-9 has lots of filter options and other features. The main reason I’d switch would be for the flexibility to try a...
  5. Dougey_Jones

Something else I realized recently, which would’ve changed my purchase a little is that the Flex Digital also has one pair of analog RCA inputs. That would allow you to accomplish the same thing, with the added flexibility of using any DAC you want. I bought the Flex Balanced, but in retrospect...
  6. Dougey_Jones

It’ll arrive at the Flex unbalanced, go through the ADC and whatever correction you apply, then be decoded by the excellent onboard DAC and output as a true balanced signal. I love my flex.
  7. Dougey_Jones

RCA —> TS actually. https://a.co/d/htdCfRf
  8. Dougey_Jones

Polk ES60 Tower Speaker Review

The LSi series are extremely impressive even all these years later. Whenever people ask me what speakers to buy, if they’re looking for used speakers that’s my first recommendation. Some of my most enjoyable listening sessions ever were using stand mounted LSi7’s. Still regret selling them.
  9. Dougey_Jones

Big news coming from Sound United in 2023!

My question is, why does OP specifically want a class D AVR? I could understand if he specifically wanted a Hypex based AVR, but just standard class D? Why?
  10. Dougey_Jones

Share your best “bargain of my life” story.

When I was selling HiFi back in the early aughts I had a customer trade in a McIntosh MX-118 AVP/Pre towards other gear. The shop I worked for didn't care about it and I ended up paying $200 for it. I later sold it for almost $2k on eBay. It didn't do anything special besides the glowing glass...
  11. Dougey_Jones

Shouldn’t we be looking more at PA speakers?

In what universe does Dirac not take the starting FR and correct it to match the target? The main thing people use room correction for is FR.. The 901’s have very truncated treble, Dirac’s default curve would do whatever it could to correct that.
  12. Dougey_Jones

Shouldn’t we be looking more at PA speakers?

I've wondered often about Bose 901's EQ'd with Dirac rather than the Bose made EQ component. How does that work in practice?
  13. Dougey_Jones

My first attempt at Dirac this morning (on the 3800)

Same. I had Dirac set up as well as I could manage on my RZ50 and am equally satisfied with the subjective outcome of Audyssey XT32 on my x3700, possibly even more satisfied. I used the MultEQ app on my iPad with a stylus and was able to make a very decent facsimile of the Harman / Dirac curve...
  14. Dougey_Jones

We have very, very similar systems.. Replace the x4800 with an x3700 and the Peachtree with an Adcom GFP-750 which feeds my Apollon NCx500's. When I want to use my MiniDSP Flex I just disable HTB and when I want to listen to my HT setup I turn HTB on the Adcom back on, too easy. I do have the...
  15. Dougey_Jones

This in itself is very interesting.. Are the subs still operating when you perform the calcs via the PC, but the PC doesn't *know* they're there? I've got presets configured like this for my stereo setup with my MiniDSP, where one of my subs is receiving full range information from the second...
Top Bottom