Recent content by Don105

1. D

Should I replace my KEF 105.1's?

It is a Sony STR-DN1040 - it does have a pair of sub outputs (https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4454/44544431M.pdf). BTW it also has a built-in calibration system with a mic but the on-screen display hardware is shot, so I am unable to use this. I do need to replace this...
  2. D

Thanks everyone for their inputs! This is definitely a learning exercise for me. I do have a Sony 12” sub in the back right corner of the room, will try turning this on and playing with the level and crossover freq as well as leaving the AVR in its default sound mode. Dumb question- if I...
  3. D

i did 10 sweeps while moving the mic :-). I figured that if it works well for pink noise, why not use it for sweeps… bad assumption?
  4. D

OK - cleared out previous config, updated to the latest 5.20 build of REW, and took a number of new measurements. see attached zip. Runs were: - left and right-speaker-only RTA periodic pink noise with mic static 5 feet in front of speaker (no smoothing applied) - left+right RTA periodic pink...
  5. D

maybe i'm running a different version of REW? I'm on 5.19. See screenshot below with the RTA settings I used. I'll change the mode, FFT length and window as you suggested and try again. I will also do a sweep of the tweeter as suggested. For the noise generator, do you mean "Pink PN"? I...
  6. D

OK - ran some additional tests. I used the moving mic technique for both a pair of multi-sweep tests and a pair of RTA pink noise tests. i've attached a zip with the 4 result files, and screenshots of my setup. for the generator, i used "Pink Noise" and selected Full Range. for the sweeps i...
  7. D

Thanks for the explanation, @NTK! I will check out the MMM tutorial, and take additional measurements. REW newbie question: how do I do a longer scan? These seem to default to 5.5 seconds.
  8. D

@NTK Odd, I could swear I attached them, sorry about that. Let me try again with a zip archive. As noted earlier, I did 2 measurements 20-20khz for each speaker and averaged them, with the mic about 4-5 feet in front of each speaker, around ear level when seated.
  9. D

Thanks, will check out MMM. But if someone familiar with REW charts could take a look at the ones I posted above I’d be grateful. My main question is about the really “noisy” response in the mid and high frequencies. Is this normal? Or did I do something wrong configuring REW? Or do I...
  10. D

OK - with the caveat that I have almost no idea what I'm doing with REW and much of the output and acronyms are mysterious for me... I received the Umik-1 mic today (that was fast!) and followed a blog post to set up REW on a MacBook. I proceeded to configure the settings (I think) for 2...
  11. D

Thanks for this! I've just ordered a Umik-1 mic. This ships from Hong Kong so not sure when it will arrive. Will report results once its arrived and I've figured out how to set everything up and run some tests...
  12. D

OK - interesting discussion, thanks everyone for their input. There seems to be a majority opinion that I should a) measure to make sure they are working correctly b) if not, possibly service the crossovers c) look at getting better amplification. - I will definitely look into the suggestions...
  13. D

Thanks all for the thoughtful replies, particularly to NTK for posting the video of Dr. Toole. That is incredibly informative and helpful, and the icing on the cake is that I have both a bachelor's and master's degree in engineering from McGill University :-). Seems unlikely, but it would be...
  14. D

Hello all, New member here, though I've been reading through posts here recently to gather the wisdom of this group, as I'm considering revamping my gear. Its been really educational to find some objective measurements of speakers and amps and discussions of how to (or how not to) reconcile...
Top Bottom