Recent content by dominikz

1. dominikz

Swissonic Converter AD 24/192 (ADC) Measurements

After the recent measurement I did for the unbranded ADC I got off eBay, to compare a friend borrowed me a relatively similar device by a thomann.de house brand - Swissonic Converter AD 24/192 that sells for about 40€: Basic features are mostly the same, except this one comes with a power...
  2. dominikz

Can you beat my option? KEF LS50 Wireless II + SVS SB-2000 Pro

That's interesting, but not necessarily unexpected if you're running room correction on the full spectrum - have you instead tried using the partner Denon/Audissey app to limit the room correction to just the LF area below the transition / Schroeder frequency of your room?
  3. dominikz

One more thing - if I was looking to buy an AVR-based system sometime this year, I'd probably wait a bit for reviews and measurements of the upcoming Pioneer and Onkyo AVRs to start coming in, as some of them will have a version of Dirac Live for room correction.
  4. dominikz

In my experience and humble opinion transparency is relatively easily achieved with audio electronics, and for me things like EQ capability, convenience, appropriate power output and features easily trump extra dBs of SINAD in all but worst cases. YMMV I guess :) I can understand the appeal and...
  5. dominikz

My 2c is, whichever option you select, make sure you include some means to apply precise EQ up to at least 300Hz (e.g. good AVRs, miniDSP units or similar) and a measurement mic like UMIK-1 to validate results. IMHO room EQ is absolutely critical for great sound quality, and IMHO matters much...
  6. dominikz

Jensen ISO-Max CI-1RR Review (Isolation Transformer)

IMHO this is not completely unexpected - transformers work as they do due to electromagnetic induction, and depending how well the transformer shielding is done, IME it can indeed pick up various electromagnetic noises (including mains hum). Though the Jensen transformers I tested typically have...
  7. dominikz

Jensen ISO-Max CI-1RR Review (Isolation Transformer)

Just to add to this - I've tested several transformers (Jensen, Edcor, Vigortronix...) previously when building some reamp and DI boxes and found the same thing - all of the tested transformers saturated early in low frequencies, with Jensen ones performing much better than the others I tested...
  8. dominikz

Close FR measurement vs 1m measurement

The 'correction curve' that is missing is the baffle step response, which needs to be calculated for a specific loudspeaker and added to the nearfield woofer response - I'd suggest to have a look at @napilopez's amazing guide on quasi-anechoic loudspeaker measurements for more information and...
  9. dominikz

Unbranded ADC from eBay - measurements

Took the ADC apart and took a few photos of the guts - can't really see all the traces clearly, but I'm assuming C8 and C9 might be the input coupling capacitors. Can't see any writing on the ADC chip either to check the datasheet :confused:
  10. dominikz

In principle I agree with you. As I said, in my case it might just be bias from seeing the measurements. But I can also imagine potential issues with gain staging, given that the device has low headroom on one side and relatively low THD+N on the other. There's also the early bass roll-off that...
  11. dominikz

Near field versus far field guidance

Just in case you're interested, here's how my Revel M16s measured in-room at listening position with MMM match the PIR from anechoic measurements done by @amirm: As you can see, there's a pretty close match above ~400Hz (much below the room is in almost full control anyway). You can see my...
  12. dominikz

Wow, I'm honored - thanks! That's really interesting! Perhaps I'll look into it if I find some time, thanks for the tip! On a side note, I thought it might be interesting to record an analogue loopback audio clip through this ADC and the ADC in my RME soundcard, and to compare that also to...
  13. dominikz

Recently I was looking for a cheap ADC and found a generic, unbranded one on eBay for just under 10$ (UPC: 6927373037416). Here's a few pictures of the device: My plan was to use an ADC to connect my turntable to a digital input of miniDSP OpenDRC-DI, but I didn't really want to spend much on...
  14. dominikz

Near field versus far field guidance

No worries, glad it was helpful! You can use MMM to measure your speaker and compare your measured response to the PIR (predicted in room response) from the 220 review - if they reasonably match above ~1kHz it would IMHO be a good indication that similar HF filters can be used. Good luck! :)
  15. dominikz

Review and Measurements of Denon RCD-N9 (Ceol) Mini Stereo System

Just wanted to follow this up after doing a lot more investigation. Though I haven't had a chance to test with a different amplifier (yet), I did a lot of other tests since this post, e.g.: Created an EQ correction that fixes the amplifier FR variability introduced by speaker (M16) impedance...
Top Bottom