Recent content by dominikz

1. dominikz

does anyone enjoy flat sound from audio speakers?

To be blunt - in this context human hearing simply has less resolution than well-made anechoic measurements. That absolutely does not mean that there is no value in high-resolution measurements; however it does mean that some competence is required to interpret them. If you want to see a graph...
  2. dominikz

Dayton Audio EMM-6 as good as UMIK-1 for someone who already has an audio interface?

Yes, retrieved from a Dayton web service based on the mic serial number. I too was surprised to see how different it is - looks almost randomly generated. :confused:
  3. dominikz

Dayton Audio EMM-6 as good as UMIK-1 for someone who already has an audio interface?

Here's how my Cross-Spectrum Labs calibrated Dayton EMM6 calibration curves look: The manufacturer-provided calibration file doesn't seem reliable unfortunately; here's how the stock calibration curve compares to the Cross-Spectrum one for my mic:
  4. dominikz

TOPPING D90 III、TOPPING D50 III

Indeed, however given that PEQ only works for USB input I wonder if the processing might actually be implemented within the driver SW on the PC side, rather than on the DSP chip in the device itself...? No issue with that in principle and will surely still be useful to many people - it's just...
  5. dominikz

TOPPING D90 III、TOPPING D50 III

I was disappointed to see that PEQ only works on USB input, which is IMHO the least useful one as you could e.g. run EAPO on the source PC instead. (Comment at the bottom)
  6. dominikz

Complex impedance load amp FR influence - WiiM Amp review by Erin

Note that you don't really need to know the implementation of the circuit; you just need to measure the amplifier's output impedance characteristic (magnitude and phase vs frequency) to be able to calculate its FR into any load. This is why I'd personally love to see output impedance...
  7. dominikz

Where should the estimated in-room response trend line go with a sub?

From what I've seen in my own tests, as well as measurements done by other people, PIR usually matches really well to in-room measured spatially-averaged responses (e.g. MMM) above approximately 1kHz. Between 300Hz-1kHz the match is usually still pretty good, but room influence is quite visible...
  8. dominikz

Where should the estimated in-room response trend line go with a sub?

This is a very good question, and one that I've thought about several times through the years. First, let us repeat why we see downward-sloping in-room response with well-measuring front-firing loudspeakers: it is because they exhibit increasing directionality with frequency. I.e. they radiate...
  9. dominikz

Looking at these 5 pages I casually estimate the average period of this thread is approximately 10 posts before the discussion restarts at the beginning and we go through the cycle again... :p
  10. dominikz

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Erin's review shows that enabling the crossover indeed applies both the LPF to the sub out and HPF to speakers (examples with crossover at 30Hz and 250Hz):
  11. dominikz

Luckily 'flat' loudspeakers can reproduce 'rich and dynamic' sound without issue, as I wrote here: :)
  12. dominikz

When discussing the "Harman curve" it is always good to remind ourselves that it was not intended to be a room EQ target curve - it is instead a result of using well-measuring loudspeakers in typical domestic rooms. I suggest to read the first few posts in this thread (link) by @thewas who...
  13. dominikz

This is not correct, and primarily so because you're not considering differences in sound dispersion - which many of the people contributing in this thread tried to explain. A loudspeaker radiates sound in all directions, not just on-axis, and its response is never "flat" in every direction...
  14. dominikz

People often confuse the concept of flat in-room response (bad) and flat on-axis anechoic response (good). The flat on-axis anechoic response (good) of loudspeakers with even directivity (good), as we know, results in downward-sloping in-room response (good). That being said, it is not clear...
  15. dominikz

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

You should be aware that this forum is strongly focused on providing robust and objective corroborating data whenever a claim that challenges established science is made. IMHO it is very important to challenge such claims so that the many people who read this forum can see which claims can...
Top Bottom