Recent content by dodecahedron

1. dodecahedron

Topping DX3 Pro+ with Headphones with Low Impedance and High Sensitivity

Well, since my original post, I did buy the Topping DX3 Pro+ and I have had zero issues with using it with my LCD-X's. It gets very loud even at low gain.
  2. dodecahedron

Topping DX3 Pro+ with Headphones with Low Impedance and High Sensitivity

After reading a lot of confusing comments about the Topping DX3 Pro+'s limited support of low impedance headphones, I’m trying to figure out if I will run into any clipping issues (or protection circuit issues) with that amp if I pair it with my Audeze LCD-X headphones. Here are my rudimentary...
  3. dodecahedron

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

I am considering buying a Topping DX3 Pro+ for my Audeze LCD-X headphones. But I’m having a hard time understanding the issues discussed here regarding low impedance headphones. Here are my personal quick calculations: The LCD-X has an impedance of 20 ohms, and a 103 dB/1mW. Amir’s graph seems...
  4. dodecahedron

Any Known Apple AirPlay 2 Sound Quality Issues?

Thanks @oryan_dunn for reporting the solution to the problem you've been having with the Airport Express A1392. I ran into the exact same issue myself! For weeks now, I had noticed these popping/crackling sounds and they were slowly driving me crazy. I could prove to myself that they were not...
  5. dodecahedron

Best Parametric EQ Audio Plugin for Headphone Equalization?

On windows, the standard for headphone equalization seem to be the combination of Equalizer APO and Peace. On macOS, there is no real standard and the equalization is usually done using an Audio Plugin (AU Plugin) within an plugin hosting software (ex: SoundSource). I've used the AUNBandEQ...
  6. dodecahedron

Thank you! I had no idea that such detailed data existed for such an old and outdated device :)
  7. dodecahedron

I guess I’m wondering if the quality ever gets purposefully degraded (switch to a compressed codec, lower bitrate) when there is any network/latency issues.
  8. dodecahedron

Outside of the fixed 16/44.1 format, are there any known sound quality issues with AirPlay? I know that theoretically, it uses the Apple Lossless Audio Codec which should guarantee a lossless transfer of data (again, assuming a source with 16/44.1 format). But the theoretical world and the...
  9. dodecahedron

Spend more on Amp or DAC?

Thanks everybody! I think I've made up my mind and I'll mix it up and go with a third option that meets all my needs at a slightly lower price: SMSL SH-9 + Schiit Modius. Thanks @3125b for answering my question about the viability of setting the volume from the DAC. I totally believe you that...
  10. dodecahedron

Good EQ for MacOS and IOS (IPAD) to Play Qobuz on Headphones

I also use SoundSource and I think it's great! Like @Sprint, I currently use the AUNBandEQ Audio Unit Plugin (as a filter in SoundSource) to to set my parametric EQ. But I find it a bit low in features compared to something like Equalizer APO. Does anybody know of a different way of setting a...
  11. dodecahedron

First, thank you very very much @RickSanchez for your detailed answer! I already started reading the two articles that you suggested, which are incredibly interesting. You asked why I need a remote. Well I have two young kids, and therefore I need to keep these out of reach, and I guess I'm too...
  12. dodecahedron

I'm currently looking for an amplifier and DAC for the hd800s. It is my first experience going from "mid-fi" to the "hi-fi" world :) and I'm wondering if it is best to spend slightly more of my budget on the amp or the DAC. Since I need an amp with remote control support (which limits my...
Top Bottom