Recent content by dlaloum

1. D

God of SINAD vs. reality we get from most available music files

But is it? A Quad 606 is a great sounding amp - the circuits are relatively simple, and use easily sourced components, and can be repaired without much trouble (or expense)... The AHB2 achieves legendary SOTA measurably "Clean" results... But to achieve it you have a high complexity design...
  2. D

Here is the F208 I referred to: And Amir, are you trying to make my point for me? the charts you posted of the 328Be show THD peaking at around 0.6% above 50Hz... Your own comment on one graph is how well it is performing at only 3% THD @ 30Hz... which unless I am much mistaken, calculates...
  3. D

To be fair it's a bit hard to tell with Classic amp specs, as their THD is at rated output... whereas Amir's measurements are at a much more reasonable 5W... But having said that: Nakamichi PA7 stasis... 0.1% THD @ rated output (SINAD 60 - given noise was at over 100db) Quad 909 : 0.01% @ rated...
  4. D

New Amp needed - 85% Vinyl listening

I would strongly urge an external phono preamp - with more adjustable loading...! - preferably the ability to completely disable any added C loading in the phono stage - as the cabling alone will provide a minimum of 100pf - and you can easily add external loading to raise it, but cannot remove...
  5. D

SINAD ... and cognitive dissonance (!) A really good top notch speaker gets potentially down to 0.5% THD... aka SINAD no better than 46 Classic (and really good sounding) amps get THD to circa 0.05% aka SINAD no better than 66 Based on the speakers, the utility of SINAD as a measure is...
  6. D

Audibility thresholds of amp and DAC measurements

OK ... yes - that is only the THD part of it, but with that level of Noise, the SINAD could be no better than 66... I think for people to get some sense of reality the SINAD of speakers should be quoted too.... Then the penny might drop... I have a SINAD of 100 !!! but I am putting it through...
  7. D

Audibility thresholds of amp and DAC measurements

Take this list with a little bit (or a lot) of Caution (!!!) Lenient Threshold of THD/IMD @ -66dbFS - implies a SINAD of 66 The SINAD referred to here, is being referenced only to the lenient threshold for Noise - in which case it should be the Noise threshold... as the whole point of SINAD is...
  8. D

Upmixing - where are we at? Have people compared upmixers?

That is sad. There is magic to be found in properly set up 3 channel stereo... and Dolby PLII, properly configured would achieve that - and maintain a sweet spot that one could truly walk around in... DSU doesn't seem to get there.
  9. D

Passive Speaker Recommendations for USA (by @sweetchaos)

On doing further research into the cognitive disconnect between the superb sound of certain panel / dipole speakers, and their low spinorama based scores.... There appear to be issues with the measurement method when applied to very large radiating surfaces (panels), dipoles, or according to...
  10. D

My Takeaways From ASR Speaker Testing

Just to add another Data point - I have done blind testing and was always bothered by the "Box Signature"... Although I no longer have ESL's - I now have gallo speakers, which place each driver in its own "ball" - no boxes, and similarly, does not have the "Box Signature" I will add that not...
  11. D

Passive Speaker Recommendations for USA (by @sweetchaos)

Where are the omni / dipole speakers ? - no mention of Martin Logan or Quad ESL's? Are they disqualified by the measurement methods?
  12. D

Extron XPA 1002 Plus Amplifier Review

The LEA amps sound interesting, but they are heavily focused on the "pro" world... They actually don't make a "plain" amp, they all have dante, IOT interfaces, web interfaces etc... Also they have loud fans (according to their specs) - 50db @ 1m - at Idle So really they are not aiming for the...
  13. D

What are some great non-traditional speakers like omnidirectionals and electrostatics?

As an alternative of interest... I replaced my Quad ESL's with Anthony Gallo Reference 3.2's, Reference AV center, and Micro Nucleus surrounds.... These are not a dipole or omnidirectional speaker... But the CDT tweeter, does radiate the high freqencies to a bit more than 180 degrees - so they...
  14. D

What are some great non-traditional speakers like omnidirectionals and electrostatics?

Maggies (Magnepan) - the 3 series and up Been around forever (back to the 80's) - I always enjoyed these - have not done as much critical listening as to the Quads or the ML CLS... They are true dipoles, so same positioning issues as for the Quads and ML's I certainly would have them shortlisted
  15. D

Martin Logan.... Ok I talked about the quads.... but I spent a lot of time over the years, auditioning other panels - ML's, Maggies, and others - during the 80's and 90's (and early 'aughties) I could consistently "hear the box" with box speakers.... not all, not always - but most of them, and...
Top Bottom