Recent content by dlaloum

1. D

What amp would you buy?

I experienced something that could be similar to what you are describing - IMO it was due to running out of current due to the 1.6ohm low point of my spealers impedance curve, and the resulting distortion then polluting the whole frequency range. Using amps that can handle 1 ohm loads fixed the...
  2. D

What amp would you buy?

Good vintage amps are pretty much on a par with current audiophile amps - but they may need a refresh every 30 or so years! My 40+ year old Quad 606's are still doing fine - I did have them checked out and serviced about 15 years ago...
  3. D

Dirac ART is now running on beta FW for Denon Xx800H AVRs!

Dirac did post waterfall charts and such... But they also pointed out that like many things speaker/room related, there are too many variables to be able to make guarantees... I would suggest thinking of it like ABS (anti lock brakes) on cars... you can talk about (and measure) reduced braking...
  4. D

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

It can be tricky locating both the coils and the magnets inside the shank for many cartridges!
  5. D

Have Slim Floorstanding Speakers "Had Their Day?"

I've heard speakers that did the "disappearing act" which had wide baffles - the Boston Acoustics A400's come to mind (mid 1980's...) One of the things that always contributed to that, was an absence of "box" resonances - I always found I could "hear the box" - which is why I fell in love with...
  6. D

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

Taking a stylus from one cartridge and putting it in another can be risky... the magnets/coils may not be properly aligned, if the fit is not 100%, there may be movement of the shank/magnets which would generate distortion, etc... Not impossible (and in some cases the cartridge bodies are from...
  7. D

Electrostatic speakers?

Also the M-L's integration with their woofer has never been quite 100% in my opinion... Perhaps in this day and age of digital roomEQ bass management, the woofer integration issues can be resolved...
  8. D

What interesting and tasty cheese are you enjoying today? This is like the spirits thread but for cheese.

Crispy slightly tannic green apples, (or their cider equivalents... not the icky sweet stuff commonly sold as cider) - are a fabulous accompaniment for vintage cheddars!
  9. D

Dirac ART is now running on beta FW for Denon Xx800H AVRs!

So the delays have moved from AVR/AVP manufacturer, back to Dirac.... Damn, too many snakes and not enough ladders... Still it will provide more time for other manufacturers to get their stuff sorted and ready... Monoprice, Onkyo, NAD, JBL....
  10. D

What interesting and tasty cheese are you enjoying today? This is like the spirits thread but for cheese.

Also if you're in the right apple growing regions... some good Scrumpy to go with the cheese!
  11. D

Active Room Treatment (ART) by Dirac

The gentlemen at the Integra stand at CEDIA, also stated that the DTR8.4 would be getting ART... However it remains a rumour, as no formal statement was issued
  12. D

We are effectively in an extended Beta Test period for ART... The limited release with Storm, gave Dirac a substantial but controlled test user base - mostly highly technical users too So the upcoming releases on more mainstream platforms, will be ART's V1... and it will mature... Reports...
  13. D

So Jriver pre-mixes all the sub channels and then delivers multiple sub channels to Dirac?
  14. D

Class A vs AB vs D amplifiers

If you look at the Benchmark AHB2 amp, you will see that it is a much modernised current dumper, and fully SOTA. The Quad amps are great as they are "unconditionally stable into any load" - that means they can even handle a load of 1ohm (or less) effectively pretty much a short circuit! Into...
  15. D

Class A vs AB vs D amplifiers

With amps - they only sound different when pushed to the limits of their performance envelope... So those that tend to get "unhappy" with difficult loads (low impedances, high phase angles) will start to sound different quite quickly on such speakers. But if you run all the amps being compared...
Top Bottom