Recent content by dkfan9

1. D

Klipsch Heresy IV Speaker Review

@hardisj Do you have raw impedance and phase data available? I'd be interested to simulate response with various output impedances. And do you know approximately the output impedance of your testing amp? Thanks! One thing I noticed is you are missing the footnote on sensitivity in the spec...
  2. D

Okto DAC8 Stereo review and measurements-Stereophile

? dB is a relative scale. -90dBFS can be made audible. If you have your system set up to movie reference level, -90dBFS is at 15dB SPL at the listening position--above 0dB SPL, the inaudible level. Whether it ends up audible at listening position in a room depends on many factors, but if...
  3. D

On Class D Amplifiers Measurements

What does 2kHz solo look like? 6kHz is third harmonic. Obviously there's more than harmonic distortion going on here with the spikes in between the harmonics, in particular at 13kHz. I'd be curious to see a cheap A/B amp/AVR subjected to this test.
  4. D

On Class D Amplifiers Measurements

JA measures output impedance with 6 feet of speaker cable attached, and the measurement rig itself is different, so it's not exactly 1 for 1 with those measurements from Purifi and Hypex. Better would be a Stereophile review of an amp using one of these modules. This would account for any...
  5. D

Headphone amps in Denon AVReceivers

Headphone outputs come through a 470 ohm resistor tapped off the left and right speaker outputs.
  6. D

Review and Measurements of Sony STR-ZA1100ES AVR

Actually I'm more interested in the lossless codecs, and not so much the codec performance (which should be perfect in itself), but the signal processing performance of AVRs when decoding lossless content. I'd like to see what, if any, additional noise and distortion is produced relative to an...
  7. D

Review and Measurements of Sony STR-ZA1100ES AVR

@amirm I'm not sure how to interpret this comment--THD+N for amp looks ~7dB worse with digital input vs RCA direct (and ~9dB worse than the pre-out). Almost like coherent summing of the two D+N numbers plus a little extra. Was the digital measurement taken in direct mode as well? I realize this...
  8. D

Powerline noise on hifi linear power supply ?

I have no technical answer but some practical experience. In a rented house, the router was placed near the AVR (Denon X2100W). Powerline adapter was run to a printer and/or second router upstairs. I don't remember if the router, adapter, and AVR were on the same or different outlets. No noise...
  9. D

How far have ss amps really come in the last twenty years??

I wonder if the situation would be different in a wider room with more separation, where dispersion plays more of a role to overall sound and the sound sources are further apart.
  10. D

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW Amp

Setting 80hz on both looks correct to me as well. Looks like those graphs should cross properly.
  11. D

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

And 2-10hz is still more beneficial than 20+kHz. Where and when it's there in high quantities (and intended?), it's perceptually significant. A number of folks at AVS have reference level sub 10hz reproduction as a significant system aim. Unless our systems are also meant to entertain pets. I...
  12. D

Don't feel bad. Plenty of folks who have no desire for tube equipment, including I would guess many here, prefer some sort of house curve, and a house curve is a distortion by choice and by definition. Once you stray from recreating the recording as put on disc, you're into the subjective weeds...
  13. D

And then there's mating with speakers, rooms, systems, and listening habits: how the amp performs across various loads, resistive and reactive; the speaker's own distortion profile--whether those distortion products are simply reproduced or further distorted at the power levels used; and any...
Top Bottom