Recent content by digitalfrost

1. digitalfrost

State-of-the-art audio interfaces

If you get the RME Digiface, you can use any external DAC you like, given it has optical inputs.
  2. digitalfrost

Foobar or JRiver

While I'm not into classical music that much - I collect vinyl rips. I have multiple rips of the same catalog number/year done with different turntables and equipment. Similar problem.
  3. digitalfrost

Talk me out of buying an "audiophile" preamp - confirm/deny some myths/assumptions

The Rolex equivalent in the audio world would probably be Bryston. Build like a tank, lasts for a long time. Keeps its value. Company that offers service even for old models.
  4. digitalfrost

Does sample rate conversion affect sound quality?

You're correct, any integer sample rate conversion should be more or less lossless. I think floating point conversions should also be undetectable if done with good enough quality settings. Sometimes you have to care about inter-sample overs, so decreasing gain slightly could be a good idea...
  5. digitalfrost

Cognitive bias regarding names/marketing of dac chips

I think similar things apply when people are evaluating expensive speaker cables. If the cables are red, they give a nice midrange, if they are black the improve bass etc.
  6. digitalfrost

If costs wouldn`t matter , what would you buy ?

- Custom built double bass array with Purify/nCore amplification - Acourate + standalone convoler using RME soundcards for DSP - Room treatment to achieve studio standards - KEF Reference 1 in rosewood - 2x Benchmark AHB2 - Quietest AC for the room that is available with active air replacement
  7. digitalfrost

Why has Audio (and maybe all hobbies) become so hostile?

I'm not sure how much this applies to audiophiles, since it is not a mainstream movement anymore for a long time now, but I had to think of this article when I read the headline: https://meaningness.com/geeks-mops-sociopaths On a personal note, audiofoolery is full of people claiming...
  8. digitalfrost

Power Supply for Topping E30

Can this thing supply power to DACs and still charge at the same time? I.e. can I use this to 24/7 feed battery power to the DACs, without the need to recharge the power bank?
  9. digitalfrost

Seriously, does Heavy Metal ever sound better on better speakers?

There's a remix out that comes in 5 different versions with ever increasing amounts of bass. I like version 3 the best:
  10. digitalfrost

Seriously, does Heavy Metal ever sound better on better speakers?

Heavy Metal has a lot of energy in all of the frequency bands. Because of this, a proper Harman curve is very important. You can experiment with the so called BBC dip, which basically means a recession in frequency response somewhere around 3khz and it will be most noticeable with metal music...
  11. digitalfrost

KTB DAC - music stuttering and DPC Latency issues while using resource intensive applications

Nvidia drivers had a known issue with DPC latency some years ago. Which driver version are you using? Have you tried updating to the latest?
  12. digitalfrost

small amp, relatively inexpensive

http://audio.teac.com/product/ai-301da/ It wasn't reviewed here, but it's bigger brother was https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-teac-ax-501-amplifier.7442/ and it seems TEAC know what they're doing. Contains the 50ASX2 module you wanted to use...
  13. digitalfrost

Rega Planar 3 - Turntable Setup

In my opinion, a proper phono preamp not only needs to offer multiple types of gain, but also allow cartridge loading via selectable resistance and capacitance.
  14. digitalfrost

Sealed vs Ported vs Other-types...

Oh wow. I didn't realize these are bass-reflex. https://www.genelec.com/7050c#keytech-content-2Db9yftgbCMIsQyaiCi6cE I'm not sure how much THD and IMD matter with subwoofers. I tought we get less sensitive to these things and we go down the frequency band. But in technical principle, I...
Top Bottom