Recent content by DigiPete

1. DigiPete

New setup from scratch - with DSP preferred

The AES is both balanced and higher voltage, thus a much more robust signal for longer cables, and that is why you'd want the transformer close to your source. Recommended max lengths says it all: S/PDIF: 2m AES/EBU: 100m Longer S/PDIF cable lengths may work for you, or work most of the time -...
  2. DigiPete

Genelec GLM Review (Room EQ & Setup)

Placement absolutely matters, and so does treating first reflection points. Reflections can't be compensated with GLM or any other DSP / room correction SW. Room correction isn't perfect, but can lessen problems in the bass area as they are standing waves (room resonances). You would be...
  3. DigiPete

SMSL SU-10 DAC Review

The Chinese have perfected building DAC's - yes. And amps. So where should they go from here and in what order? 1) Stereo DAC with room correction - think RME ADI-2 with more/easier DSP 2) 4 channel DAC with room correction and dual sub integration - think miniDSP SHD but cheaper 3) AVR with...
  4. DigiPete

Male XLR is the input for both digital and analogue. The list seems spot on. Personally, I always give the brick and mortar shops the chance to sell me at the same prices. I think they are worth supporting, even if Thomann actually have very good support. I wouldn't pay more locally as I need...
  5. DigiPete

Hey @lennyanders This kind of digital switching is highly personal, as it all depends on out needs for I/O, user interface and price range. Just keep an eye out for what bit depths and sampling frequencies the device has and that it doesn't re-sample from one to another. I'd personally prefer...
  6. DigiPete

Careful @mvnchies , you are starting to sound like a Fanboi :eek:
  7. DigiPete

Thanks The Kippel SW makes some guesstimation - probably based on a standard room and listening distance. I can but guess, but I'm sure Kippel will have that info somewhere. However . . . You just go ahead and design any freq response in GLM that you want to try out and see how it feels...
  8. DigiPete

Genelec's target has always been fully flat / linear, as they are really engineered to be Monitors = tools for recording / mix / mastering. No silly house curve, no distortion, just pure WYSIWYG. As you found, you can now tailor the freq response curve, but that is a more recent addition. I...
  9. DigiPete

Hey @mvnchies Genlec SAM's are really magic. Well, science ;) Thanks for your feedback, congrats and many happy listening hours.
  10. DigiPete

You are very welcome, @mvnchies , and equally welcome in Copenhagen. I did have fun with that blog back in the day, and it caused some heated discussions in the community. Room correction and going all digital has become much more accepted since then (as predicted). These days, @amirm's tests...
  11. DigiPete

No worries I am a self confessed Genelec fanboy. And I have been pushing digital and Genelec hard for the last decade, after I spent an entire year on the pursuit for better sound for less. I'm a technology strategist by trade, so I knew what to look for, I just didn't know if anybody was...
  12. DigiPete

Genelecs home speakers (F subs + G monitors) indeed have S/PDIF and Toslink inputs on the subs. Unfortunately they are otherwise fully analogue, so don't have any room correction apart from a few DIP swiches. They play well - but does your room??? DSP was part of the assignment, so these would...
  13. DigiPete

@mvnchies Cabling: You connect your source to one monitor input and then the output to the other monitor. So: AES/EBU in - monitor -> AES/EBU out - other monitor. The GLM software will help you choose right and left, so you can run first to the right or the left. Don't worry about mixing...
  14. DigiPete

OK - let's take things from the top. And yes - I get that it might seem a little confusing at first. But I/ we will help you all we can - this is what communities like this is for. AES3 S/PDIF Optical Toslink, S/PDIF Coaxial & AES/EBU are all part of the same standard for digital sound...
Top Bottom