Recent content by Digby

1. D

What is the point of CD rips?

I give you...drum roll please...vinyl (and shellac) records! A hundred and twenty years of service in some cases, which hard drives/CDs can (or will) say that for themselves?
  2. D

A new hype in the world of the ultrarich: glass speakers

I wonder if it would work well, visually and acoustically, with glass for the midrange & tweeter and the bass within a typical wooden cabinet underneath. The whole disappearing cabinet is pretty nice, but perhaps a danger if you (or friends) get a little tipsy and forget it is there.
  3. D

If all speakers measure flat, what is the point of auditioning?

I can't say that has been my experience, although maybe I haven't heard really fine speakers. I have compared Behringer B2031A, Genelec 8030C, Hedd 07 MK2, JBL LSR308 MKII and Kali IN-8 V2. The most similar were the Behringer and the Hedd, it would be difficult (though not impossible) to tell...
  4. D

Passive loudspeakers aren’t as lame as vinyl…yet!

I do think most active speakers are destined to become e-waste (save perhaps Genelec or Neumann, but is this an Apple type situation..similar price to buy new than repair?). The onboard electronics are typically not repairable in the way separate amplifiers are and many who will repair...
  5. D

If all speakers measure flat, what is the point of auditioning?

Hmm, but which measurements..the frequency response? One speaker can be "flat" (+/-3db) with a 2db peak at 1khz, on axis, and another "flat" and have a 2db peak at 4khz and a 2db trough on 1khz, on axis. They will sound different, this before a myriad of other measurements are taken into...
  6. D

JBL 4312M II 3-way Studio Monitor Review

May I ask, are all current speakers engineered in Northridge or are there JBL speakers still created in Japan? For example, are the 4312G speakers a product of Northridge?
  7. D

Which speaker is the best one?

They are the most capable, SPL wise, of all the speakers you listed, so I'd think so. If you can get the KEFs cheap and can listen to them before purchase, might as well give them a try first, I suppose.
  8. D

not always the best way to make friends with the neighbours in an apartment.
  9. D

Given no sub and a reasonable sitting distance away my choice, if I had to do it blind (deaf?), would be the KH150.
  10. D

The meaning of life

What is it...is hi-fi meaningful to you or something else. Maybe the meaning is just to be amply distracted, so you don't have to think about insoluble questions? :rolleyes:
  11. D

Potatoes

I like them, but I rarely cook them. I do the usual baking and boiling, but it is kinda bland and repetitive. What do you do with potatoes? Please leave recipes below (preferably no deep frying, I think it is kinda the easy way out).
  12. D

Ken Fritz - Audiophile Documentary

I bet Ken, if he is out there somewhere, is getting a good kick out of all this back and forth :D
  13. D

Ken Fritz - Audiophile Documentary

Don't you think you might be at risk of doing to the son what you others are doing to his father, essentially being presumptuous? FWIW I don't care about the story much, but I don't think airing this dirty laundry has helped anyone. I still wonder what the author was looking to gain or is any...
Top Bottom