Recent content by Dennis Murphy

1. D

New Towers-BMR Philharmonic, Revel F208, or other?

The 64-10 RAAL ribbon isn't quite sensitive enough for this project, and it might not be able to stand up to extremely high output levels. The Mundorf AMT is much more sensitive, more robust, and has broad enough dispersion to meet my design goals. To stick with a ribbon, I would have to go...
  2. D

The new units have a little more power handling, but the main advantage is their 8 Ohm impedance, which means they can be run in parallel to boost sensitivity. The frequency response is a tad smoother than the 4 Ohm units in the 1500 - 2000 Hz range, but choppier up high. I don't use them in...
  3. D

The new HT's are 43" high, 8.5" wide, and 10.75" deep. Weight is around 55 lbs.
  4. D

We have no dealers anywhere. And shipping the towers to Europe would be extremely expensive and risky. They're over 90 lbs each. Shipping our upcoming HT tower would be more practical. They're due to arrive in March.
  5. D

The new HT uses a more sensitive version of the Purifi 8 Ohm 6.5" woofer. There is a trade-off in bass extension, but anyone who is serious enough to buy the HT for movies will no doubt have a sub(s). The box tuning is mass loaded transmission line, and there's useful room response down to 32...
  6. D

The New Advent Loudspeaker Review (Vintage Speaker)

The New Advent was introduced to meet comments that the original was too laid back in the highs. Lacking a time machine, I can say for sure whether the sample I sent Amir was in spec, but the tweeter impedance measurement matches others that have been published. There's no question that my...
  7. D

Thanks very much. I had forgotten than the original came in a utility cabinet. I owned the rounded veneer version.
  8. D

I'm not sure that's correct. The New Advents, which Amir tested and I worked with, had elevated and generally unpleasant highs, and the only change in cabinetry was the option of a less expensive finish. AFAIK, the original cabinet, shown in the picture, was never improved upon.
  9. D

Thanks for the research. The Audioholicsfull-range measurements for the tower show pretty much text book behavior off axis, assuming you think very broad dispersion is a plus. I'm not sure spin data would add much.
  10. D

This isn't my area of expertise and I don't want make anything like a definitive statement, but my experience has been that James' ground plane measurements usually don't match all that well with the factory specs. Here's his measurement of the big hog Perlisten S7t
  11. D

I've never done his experiment, but I'm very skeptical. My nearfield measurement matched the simulation exactly.
  12. D

The mic was at most 1/4" from the woofer dust cap when I did the nearfield measurement. I really doubt there was any bleed-through from the port, or vice versa.
  13. D

Well, I have a taste for science and accurate sound reproduction:) A good bit of work went into the tower's box tuning. I always call on Paul Kittinger to do this part of the design work. He uses extremely sophisticated transmission line design software that optimizes the location of the...
  14. D

Why are there so few omnidirectional speakers?

I'm not sure there is any "correct" radiation pattern. Dr. Bose thought he provided it with the 901's, which were sort of omnidirectional. His calculated the ratio of direct to reflected sound in a typical concert hall (which--I know--doesn't exist) and tried to replicate that ratio with the...
  15. D

KLH Model 5 review and measurements by Erins Audio Corner

For what it's worth, it didn't get any first place votes at the recent Arizona Speakerfest.
Top Bottom