Recent content by Dennis Murphy

1. D

Affordable Accuracy Monitor Review

I've never bothered with PCB's. You have to think too much. I just cut a piece of peg board to size, lay out the components in a logical pattern, secure them with pull ties, and solder.
  2. D

New Philharmonic HT Centers are Here!

We were trying to keep the HT's as affordable as possible. As it is, the price is higher than I would like. Four Purifi woofers tend to break the bank.
  3. D

There is another recent thread on this forum addressing the bass characteristics of front and rear ported speakers as a function of distance from the wall. The conclusion is that there isn't any difference until the distance is less than 2-3 times the diameter of the port. So at one foot, port...
  4. D

Affordable Accuracy Monitor Review

Ditto that. The AA+ was a one-time mod to the Parts Express BR-1 kit that I offered when the price of the Morel tweeter was within reach. Soon after, the price soared to $100 a piece, and it was no longer "affordable." The AA+ was an entirely different speaker than the modded BS-22 Pioneer.
  5. D

That's correct. I'm not quite to the point where I can afford a Klippel machine (that's about 30 years down the road), so I need to contract that out. I'm sure there are a lot of reviewers who would still agree to review a speaker in spite of a prior financial arrangement with the designer...
  6. D

The FTC may consider dropping the Amplifier Rule.

The amplifier industry is a fragmented, warring group. The only lobbyists would be from the Consumer Electronics Association, and the only lobbying they have done was in support of their proposed measurement protocol. They very much want the Commission to adopt it and enforce a new Rule. The...
  7. D

The FTC may consider dropping the Amplifier Rule.

It's been over a year since the FTC solicited comments. My best guess is that a new rulemaking has been shelved.
  8. D

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

My relations with Gene have always been cordial and rewarding. We worked together twice on comments to the FTC regarding a proposed revision of their power rating rule he proved himself to be very knowledgeable and anxious to get the best possible result for consumers. I can understand why he...
  9. D

New Philharmonic BMR HT Towers

I'm sending it off on Monday. It should be a pretty short turnaround.
  10. D

I said I listened to as loud as I could tolerate. I'm Irish, so I don't know my limit on certain activities, but I do know when Stravinsky is getting too loud.
  11. D

I'm afraid I don't have a satisfactory answer for you. I'm not willing to subject myself to peak outputs that high. My future on this planet is tenuous enough already. But it's a legitimate question and I intend to have the HT's Klippel tested, including the compression sequence. I will say...
  12. D

Q Acoustics 5040 floorstanding speaker review by Erin

My reply should have been to Blockader, not you. But the "correct" configuration and execution of an MTM is controversial in the extreme. Even D'appolito relaxed the crossover specifics necessary to execute his MTM design successfully. Some claim the mid-tweet distance should be no more...
  13. D

We don't really know what "good" vertical directivity is. Almost no speaker with non-coincident drivers will provide even vertical dispersion at the crossover point(s). Does that mean we should only be listening to point sources? If that's the case, I would invite you to drop by for a...
  14. D

What is your definition of a point source MTM?
  15. D

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

I chose my words carefully. Audioholics was an exception for us. I can't vouch for their general policy.
Top Bottom