Recent content by DDF

1. DDF

Announcement. AES Presentation on “What is Accuracy” by our very own member @j_j_ or James D. (jj) Johnston - Chief Scientist - Immersion Networks

Truly I'm not trying to be argumentative, I think this is a critical point but its being wholly missed. And its not just language. The gap is too large for keyboard, perhaps it requires a bottle of scotch and 2 glasses. Sorry for the detour.
  2. DDF

Announcement. AES Presentation on “What is Accuracy” by our very own member @j_j_ or James D. (jj) Johnston - Chief Scientist - Immersion Networks

The Heyser quotes come from from "Hearing vs. Measurement", Audio, March 1978. He may have published an AES paper on the topic. I was involved in the work on the first perceptual codecs for wireless, this is something different. This concept also differs from euphonic distortion. Your and...
  3. DDF

I committed my career at one time to the scientific pursuit of audio fidelity but came to an aha moment decades ago that there is no absolute sound, no attainable reference. I posted the following to rec.audio in ~ 1993. It's quoted from the brilliant late Richard Heyser who summed it up best...
  4. DDF

Nuprime IDA-8 DAC measurements

First post in eons. My advice is stay away from it. Stay away from Nuprime. The IDA8 was great for a while. Then the DAC malfunctioned badly and they sent me a new main board I had to replace myself. I did but the amp section sounded bad and measured very high in distortion. After 2 months...
  5. DDF

JR149 impedance plot

Nice speakers you've got there, they were responsible for getting me into hifi in the late 70s. Below is the test report from Popular HiFi in 1976. Jim was playing on the wild side with a dead short at 10kHz. I completely redesigned my pair a number of years back, with instructions and test...
  6. DDF

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

Of course Tom is right. This: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audio-measurement-gear.113/page-12#post-153972 "I found it very interesting that I could improve the unbalanced mains noise by 10 dB by either using a much heavier gauge AC cord, or running a ground wire...
  7. DDF

NEW PURIFI 8'' MWoofer [PTT8.0X04]

That was a great read, thanks for sharing it. Unfortunately the driver peak frequencies vary with angle of observation, so their simple notch filter approach (based on on-axis only) won't work well, it'll mismatch off-axis (see below). IME with a driver like this, it calls for a low Q broad...
  8. DDF

Why buy from Apos Audio?

Apos eventually repaid my purchase price to PayPal (5+ weeks after an RMA request and frequent prodding from my side) but made me pay return shipping despite their web site policy being otherwise (it was faulty, & I've never before received a consumer good with a rattling loose screw). I wrote...
  9. DDF

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

I stated this product had a risk due to its very tight packaging and Topping's trend for insufficient testing as evidenced in other products reviewed here. I find when people start putting words in my mouth, the discussion is not in good faith, so I'm bowing out.
  10. DDF

To your first point, that's really a false comparison. High SINAD is also a more worthy goal than sleeping naked in the snow. The point is that manufacturers perfecting excess SINAD while giving insufficient focus on reliability and product testing before release (as evidenced by user feedback...
  11. DDF

In the absence of an engineering damp heat or thermal cycling chamber, an easy and reasonably useful predictor of reliability risk would be to play it overnight & then pop the lid and quick test temperature. In that absence, the extensive user community feedback here is most helpful. I...
  12. DDF

Why buy from Apos Audio?

Their policy is "We’ll provide a free prepaid return shipping label for you to return the defective items" and they accept orders from Canada but today claimed that they won't pay for return shipping of defective items from Canada but instead offer an in-store credit which is not stated anywhere...
  13. DDF

RCA Audio Switch Silent 2(1)-in-1(2)-Out Stereo RCA Switch Selector review

@pma Hi Pavel, I make my own switch boxes and switch the ground along with hot (make before break) so only the one input hot and ground connect to the circuit. Depending on the situation, it can drop system noise getting rid of all those extra antenna feeding into the box, and can significantly...
Top Bottom