Recent content by Dave Zan

1. Dave Zan

Where is the Flaw in most Multichannel Preamps/ AVRs?

I am surprised no one has mentioned that the "flaw" is that you simply can't do this, at least not without difficulty. The industry doesn't want bit-perfect copies, so inexpensive AVR's don't output a digital signal after they decode. While the audibility may be debatable under typical...
  2. Dave Zan

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

There have been a few Transcriptors pictures in this thread, but not the Skeleton. I first saw the Transcriptor back in the early 1970's, first in the window of my city's upmarket hi-fi store then in Clockwork O. It left a deep impression in my juvenile mind, just an incredible object, to...
  3. Dave Zan

Audio Precision APx516B Review

A combined DAC and ADC with a common clock in an audio interface would simplify synchronisation. That's important in speaker measurements, maybe not an enormous market but I will definitely buy one if you make it:) It would simplify life to have one interface rather than your excellent...
  4. Dave Zan

TOPPING Audio Interfaces Coming soon!

What is that based on? From Julian Krause' numbers and Amir's measurement of the Noire it looks like it should drive them to >105 dB. I have the Noire myself and I think that should be fine. My hesitation is from other aspects, as Julian says, some of the measured results are a minor...
  5. Dave Zan

TOPPING Audio Interfaces Coming soon!

Me too, I planned to wait then buy if the reviews are Ok, but I could buy and have it drop shipped to Amir for review sooner, if there is sufficient interest. Are other people interested and want a review ASAP? You can "like" if you like, or just post a reply, if you don't like social media. David
  6. Dave Zan

State of the art Home Theatre - how?

I assume that if a BluRay player decodes the audio for multi channel analog then their HDMI output will also be decoded to LPCM. So an HDMI extractor should work, do you (or anyone) have any experience to confirm or disprove this? What I am more interested in is if any AVRs also produce a...
  7. Dave Zan

Microphone Distortion Comparison

Thanks Joseph, despite some quibbles this does look quite informative. It would be very helpful to compare an Earthworks measurement microphone, since they are almost a default standard for quality at less expense than a real Bruel & Kjaer or one of the wannabes like the ACO Pacific. Best...
  8. Dave Zan

Audio analyzer project

I am beyond impressed, more like in awe. So, I have waited but now you have this much done, I have to ask, any idea of costs? I understand that you don't plan to sell this yourself but BOM cost? Or, even better, approximate cost from a PCB factory that does assembly? Obviously it would be just a...
  9. Dave Zan

A Call For Humor!

I'm in IT so I prefer this approach.
  10. Dave Zan

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once!!

Just saw this and I'm still a little spaced out, very trippy movie, so maybe not a very literate review - links later. But lots of fun martial arts comedy science fiction family drama! Recommended, check it out.
  11. Dave Zan

DIY 3D Speaker Scanner - the Mathematics and Everything Else

I finally took the first step and, after many Covid caused delays, acquired a stable measurement mic (a Bruel and Kjaer clone by MicW/BSWA). It has been checked by comparison with a friend's Earthworks and the supplied calibration looks accurate. So now I am back at work to earn some extra money...
  12. Dave Zan

Favorite Audiophile Movies

Surely it has to be the old Clockwork O...? Brilliant movie, fantastic sound track, music as a central plot point, and as a symbol. And such a pretty sound system, I still want a Transcriptor, even if I know it won't measure so brilliantly. Patrick's tape deck and speakers will spark memories...
  13. Dave Zan

Asimov Foundation

A lot of bad science fiction uses a similar excuse - "Probably 90% of the people who see it don't understand science" so who cares if it makes sense? But the bad science is usually a clue that the writer/director is either too lazy or incompetent to work out science that does make sense, or else...
  14. Dave Zan

Thanks, that provides some context. My room is quieter than that, below the noise level of an RS SPL meter that I borrowed. At best it should be below the noise level of the new MicW measurement mic <20 dB. So an AVR may well be transparent for you, but not here. Yes, it seems fair to call...
  15. Dave Zan

My new measurement mic is stuck in Sydney due to Covid lockdown, so no screen shots yet. Hopefully soon. I don't claim any "audiophile" abilities in respect of what I can hear, that's for sure. Any idea of the sound level in your apartment? I am in a detached house on it's own block so that...
Top Bottom