Recent content by DapperDanMan

1. DapperDanMan

Spotify Premium worth it for the audio quality?

Thank goodness! I enjoy the sound quality of Amazon Music HD but there are a few complaints I have compared to Spotify: My wife hates Amazon's app and wants to switch back With Spotify, you can have music playing on your PC but be sitting elsewhere and control playback using the app on your...
  2. DapperDanMan

Maybe I'm wrong but the software you linked to appears to effectively be a piracy tool that's almost certainly against Spotify's terms of use. The argument that a service isn't worth purchasing because you can simply steal it instead is pretty lame and I suggest you remove that link.
  3. DapperDanMan

ARX RS-1 XLR AB Switcher Review

Ah OK then it sounds like I'm mixed up on what this device is for. I am running PC -> DAC (via USB) -> Headphone Amp (via XLR), I want to be able to go PC -> DAC -> Switch -> Headphone Amp (A) / Powered Monitors (B). I give myself a D-minus for reading comprehension :)
  4. DapperDanMan

ARX RS-1 XLR AB Switcher Review

I have a DAC with XLR feeding my headphone amp in my office and I'm going to be adding powered monitors to my setup. I assume this would be the type of device I need? The price seems excessive... but I probably don't need all the features since a manual switch would be within my reach?
  5. DapperDanMan

Thanks for the suggestion. Through some googling earlier today I discovered the foobar2000 ABX route. The results were very interesting! I think I'll start a new thread about it so as to not take this one off-track.
  6. DapperDanMan

That is an interesting article! The big take-away for me is the individual test subject who was able to correctly discern the lossless recording 30 out of 32 attempts. Something tells me this listener was not gifted with special ears, but instead he had a strategy for taking the test and...
  7. DapperDanMan

I'm not questioning the value of ABX testing at all - I'm perfectly happy to accept that it's the very best way to prove whether people can discern differences in sensory input. I'm saying that as a test subject I want to be presented with the easiest, valid version test. Being able to beat...
  8. DapperDanMan

Haha that definitely puts it succinctly. I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere, but ABX seems to me like it could be problematic once you get into the realm of lossless vs. 320kbps. I am easily 100% accuracy doing ABX of 96 kbps MP3 vs lossless, but as the bitrate increases the testing becomes...
  9. DapperDanMan

That could be part of it. And now most of my listening is done on a new DAC / amp that I didn't have when I was still using Spotify. I did just go back and listen to the non-premium (High Quality) Spotify version of Hit The Lights and a few other songs vs. The Amazon Ultra HD version. Amazon's...
  10. DapperDanMan

One song that stood out to me on Amazon where I felt like "wow there's a lot of detail here I haven't heard before" was The Joker by The Steve Miller Band. There are a lot of cymbals that are allowed to ring out and the whole song (which I've heard hundreds of times before) felt very pleasing to...
  11. DapperDanMan

I had Spotify Premium for several years and was very pleased with it from a usability standpoint, but I found that I didn't listen to that much music, or for that long. It was almost always casual, not critical listening. I did a trial of Amazon Music HD a couple of months ago and it felt like...
  12. DapperDanMan

Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD Player Review

If that's part of your hiring criteria, I suspect you're doing them a tremendous favor by saving them from the experience of working for you. It's really a win-win ;)
  13. DapperDanMan

Using a single DAC for both headphones and powered monitors?

I'm liking the idea of the XLR switch. Not too expensive and it seems like it would give me what I want. I currently run the volume on my PC and DAC at 100% and adjust volume with the headphone amp. I imagine I could set the monitors to a fixed level and then adjust their volume with the DAC...
  14. DapperDanMan

Using a single DAC for both headphones and powered monitors?

For a long time I was using a Peachtree Nova 150 in my home office with a pair of KEF R300's. The Nova 150 has a built-in headphone amp (similar to a lot of AVRs) so if I needed to use headphones I'd simply plug them in and it would switch into headphone mode automatically. I've rearranged...
  15. DapperDanMan

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

KTM 1290 Super Adventure :)
Top Bottom