Recent content by Dant

1. D

Balanced Turntable?

I'm very curious about this particular case. I assume you mean cartridges like the Ortofon 2M series that ground the cartridge shield to the right channel ground/negative signal? I know the 2Ms let you disconnect that ground. Would that wind up being beneficial for a balanced setup or worse...
  2. D

Nintendo sound comparison

IIRC, anything Sound Blaster from before the PCI and AC’97 days was kinda bad, but mostly on noise. There were better alternatives then, and the hardware clones being made by enthusiasts like on the Vogons forum these days are excellent, though.
  3. D

Why Audiophiles Are Shopping for Vintage Turntables

I’m preparing to buy a turntable and this is my primary motivation in doing so. I prefer physical media and have been using CDs when I sit down for a listening session for a long time, but the vinyl revival has left me high and dry with some of the more niche things I listen to like artists I...
  4. D

WM8740+DIR9001 DAC Board Review

I have one, but I bought it for it’s intended purpose—playing PlayStation games. I did hook it up to my setup a year and a half ago to play some CDs because I wanted to know what the fuss was about. For the record, it was terrible, the upper-mids were shouty and distortion was readily audible...
  5. D

DSP-Based Phono Preamp/ADC with Digital Out?

A bit of thread necromancy here, given it’s age, but Parks Audio has started selling the Puffin with a coaxial out already added. I figured it was worth updating the thread to note.
  6. D

A warning. There is a new web article going aroud that is a crock of schmidt.

I read the entire article. I want my time back, now. It doesn’t matter how “variable” the information sampling of your neurons are, we know that for sound, it doesn’t exceed 20-22khz. The same rules of Shannon-Nyquist matter just as much for the ADC and DAC as it does for your own neurons, and...
  7. D

DSP-Based Phono Preamp/ADC with Digital Out?

As the title asks, I’m trying to find a standalone phono stage that both uses a DSP to perform the RIAA eq and outputs digital in some form. I’ve found phono stages that A/D to do RIAA EQ in DSP, then D/A right back to output, and I can find phono stages that have a digital output, but I can’t...
  8. D

Desolder USB type-C jack and solder a Type-B instead on my Khadas tone board

No, no, absolutely do not do this. That USB A-to-B adapter is a massive spec violation and plugging it into a USB C-to-Female-A adapter has a high chance of breaking something because the female A adapter puts the USB C port into host, not device mode. Even if it doesn’t break anything, it won’t...
  9. D

Study: Is I²S interface better for DACs than S/PDIF or USB?

Ah, I didn't know that. Can't say I'm surprised though, RPi Foundation added it to the GPIO for sensor/device connections, not originally intended for audio.
  10. D

Study: Is I²S interface better for DACs than S/PDIF or USB?

Only in implementation. The RPi has I2S wired straight from the SoC to the GPIO header. If you’re going to make a DAC that’s a Pi hat, I can’t think of much reason to not use it, as it’s right there and ready to use.
Top Bottom