Recent content by dannut

1. D

Need Help w Subs in a Large room

Don't say that, until you seen @sigbergaudio Inkognitos. Uses the same/similar good quality driver as previously mentioned XLS (Scan-Speak Discovery?). Also they have the necessary DSP functionality to high-pass your mains and get the modal region under control. You will have massive spatial...
  2. D

=SVS SB2000 = Linkwitz Thor (https://www.linkwitzlab.com/thor-intro.htm). Peerless XLS is a known quality driver. Pair it with a decent box and amp and you have proper sub within its output limits. Low Le variation, good, clean response at the high frequencies, can be crossed anywhere up to...
  3. D

go pick up locally a BKELEC Peerless XLS based sub. Add multiples, if more output and smoother modal response is needed.
  4. D

Arylic BP50 Preamp with HDMI ARC Review

Hi - if you go to 'Parametric Equalizer Plot' tab, there is possible to change 'Fc', 'Gain', 'Q' and 'Type'. Type can be either hi/lo shelf, high/lowpass or PK. Can you apply a highpass to main speakers in this tab? Should be 1Hz increments. Also how does the sub channel 'PEQ' tab differ from...
  5. D

Arylic BP50 Preamp with HDMI ARC Review

Thankfully @amirm you uncovered 'couple' bugs, but as you mentioned the underlying 'performance' is capped by the MVSilicon BP1048b2 chip - ~83dB SINAD, >0.007% THD+N. That is actually better than the NAD T758 and all the vinyl systems out there. Concerning is the response from sub-out. Can...
  6. D

Why do passive speakers still exist?

Not only. Crucially for delay-sensitive applications a lin-phase crossover could mean trouble. So a min-phase (IIR/FIR/analog) crossover is combined with an analytic FIR phase compensation, that can be toggled on-off. No meaningful drawbacks, but corrected 'transient attack' for the...
  7. D

Now I see we are talking about different things. You are talking about radiation frequency response issues - and the rule-of-thumb to not compromise radiated power for some narrow interference/lobing effects. I am talking about analytically reversing the error of delaying the amplitude envelope...
  8. D

And to add to the topic, there is also a phenomenon that dr Griesinger describes as 'attention grabbing'/'nearness'/'proxymity' that is dependant on having a linear(ish)-phase at the higher frequencies also. Not much studies, but I think Tapio Lokki (also from Aalto) could have done some...
  9. D

Easy. Take a 3-way with 4th order (analog/IIR/minphaseFIR) slopes ~300Hz/3000Hz. Resulting (excess)group delay is >3ms @100Hz and no-question-about-it audible. Transient attack is not what it could be. Backed by research btw. (Will have to dig in the library for concrete studies, I think it was...
  10. D

Lack of 2.1 support is grinding my gears

Its the mentality of the whole industry - everyone is doing what everyone else is doing. NO innovation what-so-ever. Thankfully ASR 'nugded' some (mostly chifi) manufacturers to respect signal hygiene, that is almost 'free'. Next step would be to apply best practices in acoustics to every...
  11. D

Let Your Voice Help Us Make an All-In-One

That is not very useful. Active subwoofers have already 2 settings: variable low-pass filter OR wide open. So don't bother with a crude lowpass on a processor without having a highpass on the mains. Proposal: Mix L+R signal for subfoofer channel Apply variable highpass to mains. From 40Hz up...
  12. D

You can safely treat a situation, where sources are <1/4wl apart, as 1d. Eg a 3-way with steep slopes between low-mid. It needs a simple phase unwrap so the resulting group-delay would be below the audibility threshold. Even with wider spacing, the arriving reflections can be mangled, but the...
  13. D

Let Your Voice Help Us Make an All-In-One

@Fosi Audio - I hope you understand, these 'feature requests' usually end up bloating the product, which leads to: 'spec hunting' that needlessly drives up costs without any psychoacoustical benefits. faulty implementation of said features needed core features for 'best practice' sound...
  14. D

My vote goes to hybrids. Passive xo between ways, phase linearization, eq/bafflestep in dsp. Not for performance reasons, but simplicity. With actives, that houses the electronics in the speaker - the joy of retrofitting signal AND power for a multichannel install. With actives, central...
  15. D

KEF HTS3001SE - How would you EQ these?

Yeah, one of the nicest, small speakers around. All it takes is a little shelving above 6-7kHz and do something with the ~150-200Hz bump. Then lowpass ~120Hz. Paired with quality multisub system can get quite good, attractive small-room sound system. Subs need to have either correct inductance...
Top Bottom