Recent content by dalbert02

1. D

Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Review

A non-conductive layer is laid down first.
  2. D

Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Review

https://conductivex.com/emi-rfi-shielding
  3. D

What is the SINAD of our streaming source? Pandora, NetFlix, Spotify, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.?

I am contemplating the purchased of some new gear. If 99% of my content is streamed, does it really make sense to pursue devices with 120db SINAD? What is the SINAD of streaming services such as Pandora, NetFlix, Spotify, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.? From my understanding, some sources stream...
  4. D

NEOHIPO ET30 VU Meter Speaker Switcher Review

I am surprised no one mentioned Dorrough, they are the standard in the broadcast industry. https://dorrough.com/products.html
  5. D

Marantz CINEMA 70s AVR - Teardown, personal thoughts and a few measurements

For what it is worth, the unit is good and fits my needs, especially space limitations. I am using it with Parasound Z-amps, one amp in mono-mode for each channel with KEF speakers. The ability to stream Pandora and other services with the HEOS app is very convenient. The Marantz AVR app is...
  6. D

Marantz CINEMA 70s AVR - Teardown, personal thoughts and a few measurements

After reading this terrible review, today I bought it anyway for $799 USD refurbed. Here is why: I have several HDMI sources (SmartTV with eARC, Cable box, BlueRay, AppleTV, a PC) and I need to switch between these video sources easily I don't listen very critically when I watch TV like I do...
  7. D

Measuring Optical Performance

I won't lie. My brain hurts reading those two articles. But thank you. I need the MTF for dummies book!
  8. D

As silly as it sounds, the "moth test" just might be a pretty good test of quality!
  9. D

Just like ASR measures audio performance, with perhaps SNR the most important parameter, is there a similar way to test and measure lens performance? What is the most important parameter in reference to lens performance?
  10. D

What is amplifier output impedance?

I see one of the specs listed is the amplifier output impedance. I understand speaker impedance but don't fully understand how an amplifier has impedance. May someone elaborate a little so I understand this spec and why lower is better? Thank you.
  11. D

PA is not home Hifi

I'd suggest some of you consider the econowave speakers with JBL drivers, very efficient and excellent sounding speakers. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/zilchs-ak-design-collaborative-econowave-speaker.150939/ B&C poly horns are definitely high-end territory especially with...
  12. D

Parasound Zamp V.3 Amplifier Review

I have 5 of these amps. My plan was to use a mini DSP and make some tri-amped speakers. (90W+90W+45W) I never got around to it and they are just sitting on the shelf. If Amir is interested, I'll ship them out. He graciously tested my ZDAC which performed poorly and that took the wind outta...
  13. D

SB Acoustics Bromo

I think they look beautiful. I want to build a pair myself for the same application. Perhaps a slightly smaller cabinet would get rid of the boominess and crossover to a sub for <120Hz?
  14. D

DIY Subwoofer

The Jasper Jig with a cheap harbor freight plunge router is perfect. I keep them permanently attached. The HF router isn't exactly a 'use every day' kinda router and I don't cut circles but maybe two dozen times a year. HF also has 20 to 25% off coupons rather frequently.
  15. D

DIY Subwoofer

I should have written "in addition to endcaps, speaker cutouts are made using a router and jig". Yes, one can cut something resembling a circular hole with a jig saw. Or a sawzall. Or even a dull butter knife. However, if you want perfect circles, a router/jig or CNC mill is the way to go...
Top Bottom