Recent content by dadregga

1. D

Remaining Considerations on DSD

You don't buy formats, you buy masterings. Recognize this, and seek out the masterings you like. Ignore formats, unless you're just fond of them as tchotchkes/aesthetic objects, in which case go with God. To me, that statement more or less describes why all the "vinyl vs CD"/"CD vs...
  2. D

Is the Emporer wearing any clothes?

Who knows? Let's find out! For electronics, it certainly seems that these days it's quite easy and cheap to get something that's practically transparent - which is good news!
  3. D

Are you a Subjectivist or an Objectivist?

So the Harman studies found that 100% of all participants preferred the Harman curve? If they did, then I stand corrected. If they did not, then the Harman studies are 1. Categorizing subjective preferences in the population 2. Picking the largest category (i.e. the best target to hit if you...
  4. D

I don't think Harman or any statistician would claim that their research found a universal, constant, objective definition of "sounds good". They found that some nontrivial percentage of humans seem to share roughly overlapping subjective definitions of "sounds good", and described that...
  5. D

Right - sounds good to you. Not sounds good to everybody - because there is no constant, universal definition of sounds good. Listening is inherently subjective, like all forms of experience. That's the point I was trying to lay out - objective measurements can be useful for describing...
  6. D

Elaborate? I might just be communicating poorly, wouldn't be the first time.
  7. D

Guess my stance is more or less this: Measurements can't tell you if something "sounds good", objectively. They can tell you why something "sounds good", for some subjective definition of "sounds good", and make it possible to consistently communicate with other beings that share your...
  8. D

Multi-channel DSD playback

I mean I agree, the SACDs I have I love because they have nice masterings and/or unique multichannel mixes. However, none of that will be audibly affected by a decent on-the-fly PCM conversion.
  9. D

Multi-channel DSD playback

I use Roon and convert the MCH DSD to 176.4khz PCM - that will work with any DAC/AVR and is not going to be an audible difference.
  10. D

Why aren't there more honest and objective reviewers like ASR and Amir?

I'm not sure Amir or any other human could be called objective, but focusing on reproducible and comparable results is certainly helpful for understanding, charting and predicting subjective preferences! As far as honesty goes - I don't think any of the other reviewers are necessarily...
  11. D

So Confused

The long and the short of it is that if there are gains to be had, they will not be had by getting a new Bluesound digital source. Get new speakers and amp if you want - if you upgrade the amp to something made this decade I'd upgrade the speakers and vice-versa. Or don't, if you're happy.
  12. D

Is using Roon's DSP for my sub crossover a bad idea, or perfectly OK?

Yes - I use the Procedural EQ filter and then add a Mix filter to that chain - mapping all channels to output to the LFE as well as to their "normal" outputs, then I put LPF/HPF immediately after that in the chain. So the LFE gets everything 80hz or below, as well as the LFE channel, if it's...
  13. D

No real benefit other than the fact that Roon's DSP (which handles crossover and EQ) is likely far more capable and performant than my old AVR's DSP (which probably downsamples everything, among other limitations), and I wanted to prove out using Roon's DSP as a one-stop shop for crossover and...
  14. D

This is something I plan to do eventually for room correction purposes, for sure. I've been listening to this setup for some time, and am relatively happy with the results versus what the non-XT32 version of Audessy on this receiver came up with, at least.
  15. D

How did software development become so hard (Windows)???

It's not that it slows the system down - it's that a non-transactional global state store for the whole operating system that you can't revert back to a safe baseline (aka Windows Registry) is a design flaw that promotes entropy, increases the odds of the system getting into an uncorrectable...
Top Bottom