Recent content by CuteStudio

1. CuteStudio

What are we listening to right now..

Muse: The Resistance They wrote about the current global war, 12 years ago: how is that for perception ?!?! Best played with a solid bass - perhaps slightly extended, and extremely loud volumes. TBH you may need somewhere 12" bass drivers and a bit of EQ to really feel this properly. The...
  2. CuteStudio

"Every speaker construction should start with a 15" bass driver! JBL knew this already in the mid Nineteen-forties."

It's interesting you say that. I have many speakers (i.e too many!) but the cheap PA speakers are still the most Fun! I say cheap, but the physics doesn't know that. The cabinets are thick and dead, there's some leakage around the main driver as I've felt the wind - so some improvements...
  3. CuteStudio

The most overrated and underrated headphone you tried?

I have the QC15 which I like, I listened to the Sony in a shop, and was baffled - for me it had none of the clarity of the QC15.
  4. CuteStudio

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

Just FYI, I built a little PSU for the Apple DAC here (A USB-A PSU, I use an adapter with the Apple). It sounds pretty magnificent to me, but have not the gear to test for any improvements: only the theory of a nice quiet, stable 5V supply for it...
  5. CuteStudio

Do USB Audio Cables Make A Difference?

Ok, I found a 7.2V linear PSU (No idea where that came from). On the 5V I could only measure 10mV of mains ripple, so I think it's reasonable, even though the input voltage is a bit low. To lower, cascade a 7812 into 7805 LOL Listening: Actually my PSU with my valuable DAC (Apple USB-C) sounds...
  6. CuteStudio

This is the PSU design I ended up with, this evening. The USB extender took ages to arrive. Between the pins of the 7805 are two 4.7uF chip caps, and some cap on the input (470uF perhaps) and an Oscon 330uF on the output. So it should be very good. I tested it with the meter and a lab PSU...
  7. CuteStudio

Hi, as far as I know, if you follow the steps in my posts for a Pi4 it should work fine. The key, according to my experience, is to ignore the 5.XX kernel, how to do this is detailed in my posts. Once you download and extract the full image file, there's lots of info on the internet to get that...
  8. CuteStudio

I don't know anything about Moode, but anything with 4.19 will work. Anything with 5.XX - I have never sen working, but perhaps other people have. EQ is very handy, I recently added it myself to my stuff: some of my speakers did indeed require significant EQ to sound good (but after, they did...
  9. CuteStudio

I think the Apple is good into low impedance, and with a decent PSU behind it should be good, in my judgement. But I would also look at one of those small tube headphone amplifiers, to add on. I suspect diyaudio has some useful reviews and good mods for them - but that would unload the DAC...
  10. CuteStudio

Yes! This 4.19 works on the Pi4 (all Pi), this post details how to get the last 4.19 version, and how to lock in the kernel so an 'update' doesn't wipe it out. ( sudo apt-mark hold raspberrypi-kernel raspberrypi-bootloader )...
  11. CuteStudio

If the DAC doesn't rely on the USB power I think it should sound the same. If not I suspect it's purely down to how clean that 5V is :)
  12. CuteStudio

Confirmation? At that time I was struggling to get any sound out of it at all ;). I then discovered I had to plug in the 3.5mm headphone jack to switch the DAC on! As part of that process I upgraded the kernel, but only later noticed that it was playing 10% fast. I tend to switch between 3...
  13. CuteStudio

I will try to see if it works on the Pi4, it's been proven on the Pi3, as long as the kernel is 4.19. I have not seen it work correctly on the later Kernel 5 (Since 27/05/2020) except at 48000 (no 44100 rate available). - but would be interested to see anyone else getting it working with the...
  14. CuteStudio

The photo of the little board looks nice, an LC filter too? A small mod - to allow the data through, and it would be ideal !
  15. CuteStudio

I'll not bother with that :) It'll drop about 9-5 = 4V and draw about 20mA tops, so dissipate 80mW, and it has internal thermal protection :) Because of the low power, a lazy / sloppy approach works perfectly here :D
Top Bottom