Recent content by Curvature

1. Curvature

Suddenly noticing sibilance

Measurements show that if you listen on-axis sibillance would make sense, depending of course on manufacturer tolerances and individual sensitivity. https://www.spinorama.org/speakers/Revel%20M106/ASR/index_asr.html
  2. Curvature

What is the point of CD rips?

I would say about half or more of my collection can't be found on streaming services. Combination of vinyl and CDs and digital releases. Fair amount of unreleased music, too. The available proportion has been increasing over the last 15 years, although I don't expect to ever fully rely on these...
  3. Curvature

Proximity effect and the psychoacoustically wrong target FR curves

There is some incorrect thinking here. Proximity effect is specific to directional microphones like cardioids. It is also a property of the recording, not the playback stage. Headphones should reproduce recorded information neutrally (to your ear). All they really do, as devices, is reproduce...
  4. Curvature

Active Room Treatment (ART) by Dirac

The correction is most effective for the point in space where the measurement happens. As you get farther away, and as the frequency in question increases, the correction will lose effectiveness. It works the same way with normal EQ. At LF modal behavior will determine how consistent the...
  5. Curvature

It seems my ears are not made for IEMs, as I have sealing issues with every single IEM I've tried - any advice?

Either custom tips or deep-insert IEMs like those by Etymotic. I use the latter. Everything else presents issues.
  6. Curvature

Active Room Treatment (ART) by Dirac

We know ART works from the measurements posted. Exactly how is proprietary and wider adoption will let us investigate. It's an old idea (impulse correction), but this is the first successful commercial implementation. "Not audible" means not audible relative to direct sound. We know from...
  7. Curvature

The Netherland Bach society - St. Matthew passion

If you meant that question for me, yes, I like it better. Definitely my favorite of the recordings I've heard.
  8. Curvature

Does anyone here use an Ambisonic playback system?

Ambisonic can be downmixed to 2 channel stereo or binaural, FYI.
  9. Curvature

Vivid Audio Moya M1-World's first 8-woofer force -canceling speaker

Looks like a speaker and four subs made to fit together. I feel a little disappointed.
  10. Curvature

Spirits, what you drinking...

I've had Swiss absinthe around 60-70% and it was very smooth.
  11. Curvature

Was anybody at the Sean Olive talk at CanJam?

Just a few comments because I was not there. This is very unlikely to be an adequate target because DF is an unnatural and largely impossible acoustic condition. Olive made roughly the same comments in his papers about why the Harman headphone target became necessary. Somewhat more probable...
  12. Curvature

Bass and subwoofers

Is there any specific published research on your comments and recommendations? Why would being closer to the loudspeakers help given the wavelengths at play? What wavelengths are even of interest in AE? You've also frequently said that humans can localize down DC. Not just perceive (the...
  13. Curvature

Do you refer to yourself as an 'audiophile'?

I don't, but when other people ask if I'm an audiophile, I accept the title. It describes what I like. No reason to get into all the currents of thought unless people ask.
  14. Curvature

Amphion Krypton 3X

@sweetchaos For the speaker list.
Top Bottom