Recent content by Enstip

1. E

"Coolest" Song You've Heard

How about this one. ‘Cheers Darlin’ by Damien Rice. Some cool ‘audience participation’ live vids on YouTube too.
  2. E

Some days everything just sounds better

I entirely agree. I put it down to tiredness since I tend to always listen late in the day when I’m not distracted. I need to do some experimenting with earlier sessions.
  3. E

dbPoweramp or EAC?

I guess it just doesn’t work like that. I believe accurate rip keeps a ‘fingerprint’ of the whole disc, not just part of it, so that’s all there is to compare against. My view is that, in reality, if the disc read is so error prone that bit correction and re-read etc are defeated, then the poor...
  4. E

dbPoweramp or EAC?

I shifted from freeware rippers to dbPoweramp some time ago and never regretted it. I can’t remember whether you can do individual tracks but my vague recollection is that you put the cd in, it recognises/matches it in the library, and then you can select the tracks to rip. The tag editor is...
  5. E

What advice you wish you could have given to your younger self or someone new to this hobby?

Satisfy yourself with whatever your aptitudes or priorities are, and once you are satisfied don’t ask for the opinion of others because they will just upset your happy state - not deliberately but just because opinions vary and are all valid.
  6. E

iPhone -> Lightning/USB 3 adapter ->DAC is it bit perfect?

Ah, that makes sense and tallies with my recollection of needing to be powered for full functionality. Thanks for confirming.
  7. E

iPhone -> Lightning/USB 3 adapter ->DAC is it bit perfect?

Stretching my memory here, but I recall something about the Apple device needing the capability of being powered by the adapter, even if no power source was connected, in order to operate reliably / provide full functionality. Whether that is true I can’t be sure, and it may just apply to older...
  8. E

What are the downsides of DSP?

So, a few things done. Read and researched after your replies. Watched and hopefully learnt from videos by Amir and Floyd Toole. Switched from REW to the HouseCurve App by @Greg Wilding (which, as an iPad user and for my simple needs, is more convenient to use than REW). Made use of the new...
  9. E

REW not seeing RME USB interface??

Hi guys. Hope this isn’t too much of a thread hijack. I’m trying to do similar, using REW on windows 10, with UMIK-1 and RME ADI-2 DAC FS. With ASIO settings I get the same as OP. If I understand the replies above correctly, this will only work if sound card and mic are the same device since...
  10. E

Thank you all for your replies. I’ve not been ignoring them - I have been reading all of the referred to content and then referrals within those. As you say, this subject is massive. The one thing is clear is that I need to experiment more, off the back of better knowledge in the first place.
  11. E

Hi Amir (loving your work, by the way. Thank you). Did I read somewhere that you use the RME ADI-2 DAC FS like me? Do you know if it meets this criteria in its DSP?
  12. E

Thanks all, for your replies. I think I understand. I have only EQ’d for my listening position which is quite specific and I’m not worried about the rest of the room, so no worries there. The REW EQ’d measurements look better and it does sound different, but I’m not sure it sounds better. The...
  13. E

DSP capability seems to be everywhere now and potentially a means to hide any number of audio equipment or room shortcomings. But, I wondered if it’s all upside. You don’t get something for nothing, right? So, if I use REW to identify problems with my room, and load its recommend EQ adjustments...
  14. E

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

I guess I was applying the term ‘extract’ to the whole process of turning digital to an analogue line signal.
  15. E

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Ooh now I feel like I’m being examined…. What I mean is, both devices can extract the same amount of detail from the digital stream and convert it to analogue with the same level of accuracy (linearity, distortion etc). I guess also, I’m assuming that output stages can achieve the same...
Top Bottom