Recent content by CRKebschull

1. C

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

Hi Laurelkurt, I think you misquoted me there: I certainly did not get a full refund from Schiit. In fact, I never got a second reply from Schiit when I told them the details of the popping issue -- I'd call the experience "non-customer support". My solution for myself was to use the...
  2. C

VTA ST-70 Review (Stereo Tube Amplifier)

Yeah, from a different company but basically like that. With built-in meters... wow, never heard of those before. Truly there exists nothing that doesn't exist. ;)
  3. C

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

The Hypex docs say anything between 3.3VDC and 12VDC can be used as the SMPS standby trigger... so you can use the 5V out from Raspberry Pi GPIO for example. Edit: A Pi GPIO pin set as output delivers HIGH/3.3V or LOW/0V, so that ought to work for the Hypex SMPS PSU standy trigger.
  4. C

VTA ST-70 Review (Stereo Tube Amplifier)

This is how I measure my bias...
  5. C

Yes, you are right, it needn't be the highest supported sample rate, but I figured I'd rather upsample than downsample, in case I actually had real 192KHz content that wasn't just fake up-sampled and sold as such. As you also have seen - setting one sample rate for everything going to the...
  6. C

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Yes, it would seem then that Audiophonics is selling at the sum of the component retail pricing, which is fair. They ofcourse buy the components as a reseller at some discount, and that then is their profit. Since the reference Hypex and Purifi implementations are superb, and as the case with...
  7. C

Yeah me neither. The Modius sounds great, measures great, and I dunno why, it pops sometimes. Sending it back isn't an option for me. If I can do a work-around by upsampling all files to the same bitrate, and then it doesn't pop - that'll have to be the solution. Also, maybe Schitt could make a...
  8. C

Indeed, but if you are going to send these parts to the US, and you do or don't have to pay duty and tax, then it's much easier to source case and connecting parts and wiring locally, or, maybe you're like me and already have a box of Neutrik XLR and Speakon parts and all the cables you can...
  9. C

It can indeed be better in the long run to leave something running instead of turning it on and off many times. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inrush_current However, if this is the case with a Hypex or Purifi powersupply I don't know. Probably not. The proper solution is to use the 4-12VDC...
  10. C

In Germany for example you can buy the ET400 modules including the FE02-Front-End-Module with two OPA1612-Opamps for 799 EU: Then you need the SMPS1200A400 PSU for 229 EU: And put that in any enclosure of your choosing, in any orientation of your choosing, with any wiring of your...
  11. C

Indeed... That would be the elegant way!
  12. C

That is an idea, switching them via external power control. I might look into that. You could argue that thermal fatigue is possibly less of an issue than current inrush on power-on... it's debatable. I have the same EC360 thermal pads that I use in my PC builds - indeed, also possibly an...
  13. C

Review and Measurements of Fiio K5 Pro

The K5 Pro has a physical power off as part of the gain knob - turned completely left it clicks into an off position and is entirely powered off. When it is turned off, the USB device is not listed in Windows 10 anymore. This has the result that, when you turn the K5 Pro on, it is discovered...
  14. C

I have a pair of mono-block NC400 Amps with SMPS600N400_03xx powersuplies. These were purchased as mono kits from hypex.nl, which I assembled myself. Hypex sold them at the time with the "NC400 Mono DIY Case", in which they are mounted. The cases have some minimal vent holes. Here is a view of...
Top Bottom