Recent content by Costia

1. Costia

Review and Measurements of Little Dot MK III Tube Headphone Amplifier

Haven't read all 4 pages of this topic. Did he test it with the other set of tubes? I wonder how much difference it makes, if at all. I got a cheap Chinese tube amp that (hopefully) uses the tube as a buffer. I couldn't tell the difference between the stock Chinese tubes and the Russian Voskhod...
  2. Costia

MQA creator Bob Stuart answers questions.

Quite the opposite. Using headphones insures that you can easily tell the difference. Moving your head will change the sound in the live performance but won't change it with the headphones. Edit: Room acoustics are part of what you hear, and they will be different live vs headphones or a room at...
  3. Costia

I highly doubt its due to the sampling rate. I would suspect its due to the recording and reproduction itself. You mentioned reverberations yourself. Why focus on reverberation details of a specific high SPL/db impulse signal, when I am quite sure we are still unable to reproduce the...
  4. Costia

That looks like a good analogy. You are showing a rope, a wall and a hard cylinder, which are probably just that. And then claim they are a part of an invisible elephant. So far you have only shown that it is possible that a sharp pulse might be recorded differently that the ear's response to...
  5. Costia

This is the closest thing i found to suggesting that ultrasonics are perceived by humans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersonic_effect The general idea is that while we cannot consciously hear ultrasonics, we might be subconsciously aware of them (not necessarily via hearing) . But it is...
  6. Costia

The paper you linked in the post I replied to starts on page 6151 and ends at 6156 As far as I can tell there are no mentions of microsecond long integration times in that paper. And even the part you quoted now, what does a 1-5ms (ms as in mili, not micro) transmission delay has to do with the...
  7. Costia

Strawman? I was talking about a specific paper. what are you talking about? Edit: I am reading academic papers from a view point of an engineer, i dont care much about pure theory. Edit2: Another reason I am skeptical about this is because they are just proposing a regular FIR filter with...
  8. Costia

It is valid criticism. It doesn't even have a results section. You are telling me they did all that math, but never bothered to check what it actually does? It's not like they need special equipment to perform a convolution on an input signal. Take a look at other papers, not only they show...
  9. Costia

They havent shown the impulse response of the full system, prefilter+reconstruction filter. They also havent shown how the full system affects a signal from input to output in comparison with the regular methods. Or any metrics like snr compared to regular methods.
  10. Costia

Doent matter what version of flac you use. White noise is not compressible.
  11. Costia

Tried it with Audacity, 0db white noise flac is slightly larger than the wav. at -6db, flac is slightly smaller 30sec*16bit*48000khz=2,880,000bytes
  12. Costia

That doesn't sound right. How did you generate the noise? Did you make a stereo file with 2 identical channels?
  13. Costia

Could you point me to the part of the paper which talks about a fast integrator working over a time frame of microseconds? The lowest integration time I saw in the graphs there was ~1ms.
  14. Costia

Upper bound is no compression at all. Try compressing white noise. It can actually be bigger than the source file due to metadata
  15. Costia

B The Compression ratio is compressed size/uncompressed size * 100. So, lower is better. So it says it's 1.4% less efficient?
Top Bottom