Recent content by Construct

1. C

Motu M6

Love my Motu M4, but this M6 is tempting. Having dual headphone outputs up front would be fantastic. I switch between open headphones and closed headphones depending on how quiet the house is. Moving the microphone input to the rear would also be great for my desk setup. The only thing that...
  2. C

Audioengine A5+ Powered Speaker Review

Would be interesting to get your measurements. I could be misreading that old post. But if the systems needs EQ (not just crossover filtering frequencies to each driver) then the engineer inside of me would much prefer doing it with cheap SMT passives on the amp board.
  3. C

That linked chart is titled "output of the amplifier". Unless I'm misreading it, they didn't measure the crossover. I wouldn't assume 100% of the EQ and shaping happens in the passive crossover network. It's much cheaper to do EQ with small passives on the amplifier side than it is to do it...
  4. C

Looking for upgrade over broken Oppo PM-3 Budget £300 to £500

Dan Clark Audio ÆON RT. I went from PM-3 to the ÆON RT and I've been very happy with the upgrade.
  5. C

The amplifier does appear to have some EQ built-in, as you suspected: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audioengine-a5-powered-speaker-review.13803/post-421430 I actually don't understand some of the animosity toward these speakers. They're in a great spot for...
  6. C

According to an earlier post in this thread, the A5 amplifier has a heavily equalized output designed specifically for these speakers: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audioengine-a5-powered-speaker-review.13803/post-421430 For that reason, I wouldn't want to run these...
  7. C

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

@FreaK Thanks for following up and posting the information you found. A refreshing change after years of searching Google for problems only to find that the OP never followed up again. :)
  8. C

I had to make small adjustments to the headband over a few weeks to get these ear cups to sit just right on my ears. Until I got the fit right, the bass would be slightly different depending on where the cups landed relative to my ears. My earpads broke in over several weeks until they matched...
  9. C

Box + Headphones on my scale is 1038g
  10. C

Worthy replacement for Oppo PM-3

I've enjoyed my Oppo PM-3, but they're not very neutral headphones. The only way someone is going to prefer the PM-3 over every other <$2K headphone is if they really prefer the PM-3's acoustic quirks over a Harman or neutral target. As for closed headphones, I prefer my Aeon Closed X over the...
  11. C

The balanced outputs provide more power because the output has amplifier circuits on both leads swinging in opposite directions. Balanced amplifiers allow designers to get away with certain single-ended performance issues that can be cancelled out by the balanced design. The Schiit Magnius is a...
  12. C

Oil Change Intervals Objectively

Used oil analysis isn't very expensive. I use Blackstone labs for oil analysis on my track car: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ Write in the notes that you're looking for advice about oil change intervals based on the results. The person who reads your analysis should provide some advice...
  13. C

I've also been happy with Sample #2 EQ. Although I wouldn't say the Sample #1+#2 EQ sounds worse, necessarily. It is slightly different, however, and I haven't really invested enough time with it to really know if I'd prefer it. I suppose I've avoided it because it feels like a compromise...
  14. C

There is a fantastic review of the Motu M2 (same as M4 but with fewer inputs) on this forum: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/motu-m2-review-audio-interface.19911/ The headphone amplifier output is not particularly powerful. There's a chart toward the bottom of the...
  15. C

The most overrated and underrated headphone you tried?

This headphone highlights the chasm between professional audio gear reviewers and the average gear journalist. Every mainstream review of the WH-1000XM3/4 raves about the sound quality. Every professional review and opinion is shocked at how bad they are in unpowered mode. They're slightly...
Top Bottom