Recent content by CMOT

1. C

Double Blind Testing FAQ Development

Hi Folks. Been busy. But won't drop this, just need to take it as I have time. Amir's outline above is a good start. I have been thinking about this in down time and here is a proposed structure: 1. Introduction: Goals, Principles, etc (1 page or so) 2. Stimuli - what signals should be used...
  2. C

Downsizing desktop office system

I am going to downsize my office in the near future. I currently have the fun set up of a macmini->NuForce uDAC-2->Marantz 8b->Old B&W Bookshelf speakers. The marantz looks awesome glowing away next to the mini and my flat panel, but it is big and kind of wasted there. And realistically won't...
  3. C

This is why the FAQ/Guide needs to be very simple and clear. If we make it too high a bar, no one will do it and few will believe. The perfect IS the enemy of the good.
  4. C

I *think* I know a bit about perception. But I am confused by your point here. What do you mean by "transition in 10msec"? Do you mean that short duration signals or intervals inject noise into the audible range in the signals? As in the point above that that an abrupt onset or offset can...
  5. C

One other thought (then that is it for me for at least a day since I will be offline), we should aim to keep things clear and simple if at all possible. A long document or overly complex procedure won't get used. We would prefer if more subjectivists were willing to try such tests and see what...
  6. C

One thought here as we all hash this out. We are going to end up with a (hopefully) short FAQ/guide that people can use in doing comparisons between components. Maybe we should also have a short form that could be completed. A sort of checklist of things such as "I ensured that the entire audio...
  7. C

Masking occurs at many different levels. It can be purely signal (e.g., at the basilar membrane), but it can also occur at the level of auditory short term memory. Perhaps we are just using the term differently due to different backgrounds. And agreed that abrupt offsets and onsets will produce...
  8. C

Folks. You are discussing how much the second signal masks the first signal. And what is the optimal interval to ensure that Signal 1 is well retained in auditory short-term memory, but isn't masked (or interfered with) by the onset of Signal 2. So too brief an interval and one gets auditory...
  9. C

I think there is a misunderstanding in the use of the term "control". There are two types of controls in many perceptual experiments. So lets separate them. First, one needs to demonstrate test sensitivity - the ability to detect an effect if there is an effect. In some cases the conditions are...
  10. C

To reiterate what J_J says, one just should demonstrate that differences are detectable under your experimental design. Otherwise the entire thing could be cooked to never find a difference (or accused of being cooked). I was once involved in a long-running debate where the other group predicted...
  11. C

Yep. This is what I mean by the second possibility - there should be a low enough noise floor (and I don't just mean noise from the systems, but across the entire experiment - environmental noise, participant noise, etc.) that a difference should be detectable if present. One can use a staircase...
  12. C

To defend #6, control doesn't mean AUDIBLE control, it means that there are conditions where the same exact signal ("AA"; in terms of the audio chain producing the signal) is played twice and conditions where two different signals ("AB"; in terms of the audio chain producing the signals) are...
  13. C

Exactly. Appropriate statistical tests to ensure any measured difference over trials isn't due to random guessing/luck. I also like d-prime for this reason: https://www.cns.nyu.edu/~david/handouts/sdt/sdt.html Green and Swets applied this directly to auditory signals. It is still the standard.
Top Bottom